Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my Bhut Jolokias ect in a fish tank over winter. They grew so well and on their first outing to sunlight on a fine 20 deg day, the sun burnt all the leaves off them. Killed the Trinidad 7 Pot that was still small, killed the Fetalli but the 2 Bhuts and a Trinidad Tobago Seasoning plant lived....... they were nothing but sticks but they have since sent out fresh shoots. Fingers crossed they survive.

Before

BhutJalokiaLarge.jpg

After

IMG_4735Medium.jpg

The Goatsweed planti grew last year survived the winter so i cut it back and its sending fresh shoots and flowers out all over the place..... top to bottom. Some branched had died so they just got cut off where they were still green

IMG_4739Medium.jpg

IMG_4732Medium.jpg

Now the scary one...... the orange hab. I left the plant to rot over winter. There were about 30 peppers left on it when all the leaves fell off. They went black and fell off. I didnt water it once, didnt cut it back, nothin. I went and checked it a couple of weeks back and there were some buds forming so i cut it back fairly harshly and started watering it again.

It now has about 100 flowers on it, some are already becoming chillis. This one is going to produce big time. Hunter chilli heads......... i hope you all like orange habs cause im going to have millions of them!

IMG_4737Medium.jpg

IMG_4738Medium.jpg

I purchased seeds from the tomatoe growers mob in the states and the australian customs picked them up.

They sent me a nice letter saying i has 2 choices...... pay $50 to have them posted back or have them destroyed for free.

Not happy.

I have put seeds in the ground for 7 Pot, Devils Tongue, fetalli, whire habs, Jalapinos and some hot lemon too i think

Will have to wait and see what comes up

cheers

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has any advice for me... My pequin chillies are going great guns - but the last week a number of the lower leaves are turning yellow and falling off, and the new leaves at the top of the plants are shrivilling and crispy... The plant seems very healthy otherwise...

I think I've attached photos... not to sure...

Thanks!

Image014.jpg

Image015.jpg

Image016.jpg

I planted loads of different kinds of chilli seeds, birds eye etc, and habenero seeds about 3-4 weeks ago in seed raising mix....not a cracker! Nowt, nothing. How long do they normally take to germinate? Its not cold down here any more?
Cheers
Steve

My Bhut Jalokias are growing well and the Tobago Seasoning is producing chillis.

the Orange had....... it had hundreds of chillis on it now and is getting quite large.

If anyone in he hunter wants habaneros.......... Self sown from the orange ones, possibly slightly cross bred with a chocolate hab and Slavinia Red (what they make pepper spray from) i have dozend of them springing up. Free to a good home, pick up only.

I also have 7 Pot and Devils Tongue plants springing up mow that its warmer.

Ohhh they are gonna be hot

I planted loads of different kinds of chilli seeds, birds eye etc, and habenero seeds about 3-4 weeks ago in seed raising mix....not a cracker! Nowt, nothing. How long do they normally take to germinate? Its not cold down here any more?
Cheers
Steve

Capsicums and chilli take forever to germinate. I've had them take 6 before so give them a couple more weeks and then start panicking. It always catches me out when planting my spring vegies. The capsicums take too long to germinate and it throws out the rest of my planting schedule.

For future reference I think wetting the seeds overnight before you plant them helps (leave them on a wet cloth or piece of paper towel).

Cheers
Dave

Capsicums and chilli take forever to germinate. I've had them take 6 before so give them a couple more weeks and then start panicking. It always catches me out when planting my spring vegies. The capsicums take too long to germinate and it throws out the rest of my planting schedule.

For future reference I think wetting the seeds overnight before you plant them helps (leave them on a wet cloth or piece of paper towel).

Cheers
Dave

Thanks for that Dave. They are now starting to sprout. :D
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for that Dave. They are now starting to sprout. :D
Cheers
Steve

Patience grasshopper... you must learn patience. :lol:

Gee I hope other people are old enough to get that...

Yes buggie bottom...... we get it :)

Had a hale storm come through yesterday..... bunger marble sozes with jaged edges. We only got the edge of it thank god and what we got did some damage to my pepper plants. the ones i couldnt move under cover anyway.

I have a couple of 7 Pod'd growing at the moment and some people with ripe peppers have posted pics on another forum. Here is a link. Note the scary wrinkled skin and the Pure capcican oil sacks visable on the inside of the fruit. Bloody scary. These buggers run over 1,000,000 scolvel units.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7677

I have seeds on the way form the pepperd in the pics :) May have seeds from the ones growing to share early next year if anyone is game..... and if they grow as planned.

Will go well next to the Bhut Jalokias that are flowering now.

cheers

Hows everyones crops going?

Ive almost given up on my seedlings....I do have a lot of them in trays but they just arent thriving. Might be better off in the ground rather than in the seed raising mix. They've been in there about 2 months and some are still only 2-3cm tall.
Cheers
Steve

I will take a few pics tommorow Steve...... you will spew when you see my plants.

I have Jalepino's going nuts, my orange hab plant from last year is huge. I have a Bhut Jalokia chilli thats stuck after a lot of early flower drop from the young plant and hundreds of flowers comming which is scary.

I also have 3 Trinidad 7 Pod plants going great, devils tongue plants and the Goatsweed plant from last year has hundreds of peppers on it, and they are hotter than a habanero.

Also grew a tobago seasoning plant with seeds from trinidad tobago and they taste like a red habanero, but have no heat at all! very interesting.

will take pics on the weekend and post them.

cheers

HEre are some pics of my plants taken today.

Goatsweed: Hotter than a habanero, great flavour and cold tolerant. This plant lived through the winter no problems. I just cut it back and look at it now.

GoatsweedFar-1.jpg

Close up of the chillis

Goatsweedclose-1.jpg

I have 2 x Bhut jalokias (pics of the burnt stumps back a bit) that have taken off and i see they have 2 little peppers on them starting to grow...... with lots of flowers to come.

BhutJalokias.jpg

Bhutbabypeppers.jpg

I have 3 x 7 Pods going. These are the fearsome peppers from Trinidad Tobago that are very very rare. You cant buy the seeds anywhere. I got them sent to me from The west indies direct by someone on a chilli forum. There are only a handfull of people in the world growing these! I will keep seeds if they produce to share :)

7Pod.jpg

I also was sent seeds for Tobago Seasoning. It tastes like a red habanero but has NO heat at all!

TobagoSeasoningClose.jpg

Jalepino plants (i have 2 of these) are producing

Jalepino.jpg

and the orange habanero......... its a bit scary

OrangeHab-3.jpg

Also have yellow Ceyannes, a couple of small Devils tongus (like long habaneros but hotter, an aussie black, a tobasco plant, something that grow all by its self so im letting it go to see what it is, ans a self sown babe goatsweed.

Steve, im your cold climate i would recomend you growing these Goatsweeds, and a pepper called the Monzano Red. Its south american, cold tollerant and grows apricot sized, thick fleshed, hot chillis that are great for salsa. They grow huge (like 10 feet tall) and you need to have lots of supports to hold the branckes. up. I will post a pic of the one i grew last year ir you like, or it should be back a few pages.

looking forward to making some sauce soon.

cheers

Cheers Tone for the PM.

Yeah wouldnt mind having a go at the goatsweed or something more suitable for colder climes. I cant believe your growth from being just a few hundred k's up the road! Im very jealous. Send me some sauce. I still have a nice big bottle of fruit hab sauce - I'll do you a swap.

Cheers
Steve

no worries mate. Going to make a hot sauce with the goatsweeds. They have a real deep dark chilli flavour if you know what i mean. And hot!!!. Just bit off half of a ripe one and took 15 min for my tonge to stop burning. made my mouth feel swolen :)

I will save you some seeds.

cheers

Steve, maybe try potting them up to a larger pot, and keep them in a makeshift hothouse until the weather gets warm enough.
Tony, top looking plants there and I'm damned jealous. :) Would love to do a swap with you for some Tobago seasoning and 7 pod seeds when you get a decent stockpile of them. Will have some Hab Limon seeds in a few months, maybe them and a sample of my chilli sauce?

Tony, if you get enough to share I'd love to grow the Tobago seasoning and Trinidads. The taste of a habanero without the blistering heat? Sounds incredible!

Steve, maybe try potting them up to a larger pot, and keep them in a makeshift hothouse until the weather gets warm enough.
Tony, top looking plants there and I'm damned jealous. :) Would love to do a swap with you for some Tobago seasoning and 7 pod seeds when you get a decent stockpile of them. Will have some Hab Limon seeds in a few months, maybe them and a sample of my chilli sauce?

I stuck them in the ground this morning. But yeah I will start them earlier in my back potting/shade shed. Oldy my orange hab seeds (and your birdseyes) finally germinated, did yours?
Cheers
Steve

I can vouch for the quality of Steve's Habanero sauce. It's better than ANY commercially produced chilli sauce that I have ever purchased. Great hint of coconut, just the right amount of heat and a lovely fruity character. Thanks Steve. I've had to buy chilli plants this year (oh! the shame of it!), but I've got enough Habaneros and Jalapenos to get me through the summer.
Regards,
Shoppe.

Back