Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chocolate habaneros

chocolatehabs1.jpg

I put all three of those you gave me (bar the halfa I ate raw) in a Beef Rendang tonight, Tony. Absofreakinlutely delicious flavour in this dish, and a great after-tang too. Will be trying damn harder to keep mine alive this year!

Last night I moved my one n only hab plant onto the roofed verandah to try and protect it from the frost (-1 last night). The leaves have started to yellow :( Hope he'll get through winter.
Cheers
Steve

well i visited mum on the weekedn and she now has 3 5 ft hight birds eye bushes so i stripped one and now have a 3/4 full 4L ice cream container of them... im thinking of making a garlic and chillie sauce... any recipe suggestions?

well i visited mum on the weekedn and she now has 3 5 ft hight birds eye bushes so i stripped one and now have a 3/4 full 4L ice cream container of them... im thinking of making a garlic and chillie sauce... any recipe suggestions?

blend 'em add adjuncts that you think will go well ( can't go too wrong as it will ALWAYS taste like chilli!) I had recipe very early in the thread, and Tony had one just recently. With yours, add 1/2 or a whole jar of minced garlic or get a few cloves (better idea - chef Ramsay will have me otherwise!)

InCider.

I have left my larger plants out to see just how much pumishment they can take :)

All the smaller ones...... 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokias ect have been brought in to the garage for the winter.

Thinking of putting up a table of sorts in my bar room with the fireplace and morning sun in the windows. THat should keep them happy.

Now to convince the wife and keep the kids out of them.

cheers

PS..... glad you liked them Schooey.

Ive been watching Ebay for a good food dehydrator to dry these little buggers out for storage but they are a bit expensive...... too many brewing gadgets needed that get preference.

Ive been watching Ebay for a good food dehydrator to dry these little buggers out for storage but they are a bit expensive...... too many brewing gadgets needed that get preference.

Tony

I have a dehydrator but don't use it for chillis (jerky on the other hand...). For chillis I thread them on some string using a big needle I swiped from the missus' sewing stuff and hang them to dry. Hang them somewhere warm and dry. Works a charm. Takes a couple of weeks but once dried they last for years. I have about a metre of birdseyes hanging up from this years crop.

Cheers
Dave

YEah ive been doing that for years myself.......... works great.

But the thich fleshed habaneros tend to rot before they dry out..... thats all.

Just made a large run of red Naga PC-1's and hung them last weekend. Gee they look good hanging up in the garage.

cheers

YEah ive been doing that for years myself.......... works great.

But the thich fleshed habaneros tend to rot before they dry out..... thats all.

Just made a large run of red Naga PC-1's and hung them last weekend. Gee they look good hanging up in the garage.

cheers

Good point. they are a bit thicker skinned.

A dehydrator is really just an expensive way of blowing warm, dry air through stuff. What about a rack on top of a water heater? The heat should help them dry quicker and keep the moisture (and therefore the mould) down.

Cutting them in half before drying would help too.

Cheers
Dave

does any one know where in brisbane i can buy habanero's

cheers
andrew

Peppers or plants?

If its Plants your after you may have to grow your own in a warm part of your house with sun like a windowcill. I doubt anyone will be selling them as they are a summer plant.

cheers

I am a very happy chill head atm. After all my issues with not being able to get my hab seeds to germinate, the chilli plants i do have (3 x jalapeno, 2 x white habenero and 3 x bolivian rainbow) are all surviving the chilly hills weather. Never seen chillis last this long. The capsicum plants in the garden are dead but moved the chillis to the front verandah behind a nice big window and they are loving it (as are the aphids but they got a good spraying yesterday).

Jalapenos are still going great guns so have been pickling them. Added them to a burrito recently and was pleasantly surprised to discover they are hotter than i expected.

Cant wait till spring to try and grow more orange and choccy habs. :icon_chickcheers:

My hab plant has started to lose its leaves now. It'll be just a stick soon. Ive moved it under cover from the frosts. Hope it doesnt die. If it does I'll just sow a few next year from the seeds. I've got bloody bags n bags of beautiful orange habs in my freezer now - time to make some more of Tonys fruity hab sauce.
Cheers
Steve

I've been scoffing some roasted bell chillies that I have in evooil. I removed the seeds, roasted them and allowed to cool. They are great in everything. Easy to do. As there are no seeds it is very mild, so you can nearly give it to the kids.

Some of the chillies got a bit burnt but that seems to have added to the flavour. I didn't remove the skin like you do with capsicum.

InCider.

Steve.

Have you ever trimmed roses?

be harsh.... cut it right back to 6 inch sticks comming off the main trunk and put it somewhere warm and keep damp to keep the roots alive.

I have seen pics of orange habs with this done on chilli growing forums and they take off like a rocken again.......... like a rose bush will.

you will have all fresh branches for a nother great crop next year.

Mine are going nuts still.

Schooey came and took a bag full........ and i picked half of what i had on the bushes during the week and pickeled them.

the plants are loosing their leaves from the cold nights but flowering again from the 20 deg days. They are confused. In just going to let them go to test their pain thresholds during the winter. All the other baby superhots are hybernating in the house :)

cheers

pickeled_chillis__Large_.JPG

Steve.

Have you ever trimmed roses?

be harsh.... cut it right back to 6 inch sticks comming off the main trunk and put it somewhere warm and keep damp to keep the roots alive.

I have seen pics of orange habs with this done on chilli growing forums and they take off like a rocken again.......... like a rose bush will.

you will have all fresh branches for a nother great crop next year.

yeah - im a bit of a green thumb and know to be brutal with my roses at this time of year. I'll do the same with my hab plant...and yes I have still been watering it.
Cheers for the tip.

Edit. What are those in the jar in? Vinegar? Also with my habs in the freezer once defrosted to make sauce, if I de-seed them (heaven forbid) can the seeds be used again if they have been frozen? I have my other seeds in a container in the fridge.
Steve

yeah - im a bit of a green thumb and know to be brutal with my roses at this time of year. I'll do the same with my hab plant...and yes I have still been watering it.
Cheers for the tip.

Edit. What are those in the jar in? Vinegar? Also with my habs in the freezer once defrosted to make sauce, if I de-seed them (heaven forbid) can the seeds be used again if they have been frozen? I have my other seeds in a container in the fridge.
Steve

holy crap - during pruning found a couple of tiny green habs! I never learn. In the mouth if went with a good crunch. f&*^% king hotter than a nuns nasty after going without for 30 years! Had to spit it out! :lol:

Jeez mate...........you need to let them ripen up :)

Chillis in the jar are Orange Habs, Chocolate habs and Savinia Reds (what they make capicum spray from) and some Naga PC1 chillis because they were there.

I threw the chillis in boiling water, brought back to the boil to steralise them and put them in the jar. I mixed 1/4 white vinigar and 1/4 cider vinigar with enough ofthe boiling water to fill the jar.

It had bay leaves, curry leaves, mustard, coriander, fennel and cumin seeds in there too.

Not only will they last for ages but will be great to pluck out and chop up for a curry. Made a chicken curry last night........ all fresh crushed spices and 2 chocolate habs. Oh it was awsome!

MMMMMMM might have to start a thread on curries!

PS......... on the frozen seeds......... i dont really know......... only one way yo find out!.

I prefer to save some seeds from a fresh pepper and dry them for following seasons. But it may be cross polinated so your bettter off getting fresh seeds from a reputable supplier on line......... they cost almost nothing!

cheers

Haha I love your enthusiasm about chilli Tony. Is there a festival in your neck of the woods? The Melbourne and Perth ones have been very enjoyable the last few years. Though noone seems to be making jalapeno or chipotle products - very frustrating!

I'm saving up Hab's atm, my first successful Hab plant's still fruiting/ripening, they seem to be lasting much longer than most other chilli varieties I've grown... which is obviously great news.! I'm thinking I'll do a similar pickle as yours Tony, and making a chilli sauce with some habs and an abundance of asian/bell chilli's, as well as smoking some to use in a Rogue-esque chipotle ale.

Viva la chilli!

Previously frozen seeds will germinate without any problems. My orange hab is still flowering and producing fruit... I'm amazed given how cold it's getting these days.

Just a head up, this week Aldi have 150ml bottles of Habanero Sauce made to a genuine Louisiana recipe for 2 bucks. It tastes great, I'm going back to buy another few bottles.

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back