Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wasnt questioning you NRB :) They are bloody hot. Shame yours are feeling the heat. Perhaps you needed to bring them inside. I have mine in pots so i can rescue them from extreeme heat and hail storms ect.

Incider......... Im loving the Capcicum Chinense varieties........ will probably grow not much else any more. THey love the aussie clomate, taste great and are hot as buggery.

I have seeds for a chilli calle Tobago Seasoning. Its a Trinidad habanero variety but its not hot! I have a seed in to grow so should be interseting.

cheers

Aaarghh! My Naga's gone! Today's 100+kph winds picked up my greenhouse and threw it across my yard. I have no idea where my seedling's gone :( I think I'll wait until spring before planting another one...

Oh bugger.

I have 2.... if you were closser id give you one mate.

That sucks!

Cheers

Sorry NRB! I feel for you.

After all the rain here in SE QLD my plants are finally drying out for a small crop. Thank ferk!

Here's cheers your next naga seedling mate. :icon_cheers:

InCider.

Thanks guys. I'll follow up this thread with Naga information in another 9 months - Melbourne's winter will be too cold to germinate and grow it. I'll wait for spring.

I wish I knew where it went. The winds were so strong that my greenhouse flew about 5m through the air with around 20kg of pots/soil/plants in it. Outside the greenhouse my Habanero was bent over and has now been staked, my parsley was upturned, chives tossed out of the pot and capsicums are all bent. One hall of a storm....

The top of my freezer was full with orange habs........ hundreds of them, so tongiht i made concentrate.

The fumes in the garage while i was cooking it were almost overpowering. I began to cough and my chest went a bit tight so i evacuated out the back after opening all the windows.

My wife came home an hour later and as soon as she walked in the house her eyes started to water :)

I ran out and gave a jar to her workmate who's husband aparently likes chilli. We got a text 10 min later saying it was too hot for him.

Its wicked stuff. It smelt almost like orange marmilade cooking.

There were plenty of chillis to chop.

ORangehabsforpaste824x549.jpg

And plenty of jars of orange fire.

Orangehabpastebottles824x549.jpg

cheers

The top of my freezer was full with orange habs........ hundreds of them, so tongiht i made concentrate.

The fumes in the garage while i was cooking it were almost overpowering. I began to cough and my chest went a bit tight so i evacuated out the back after opening all the windows.

My wife came home an hour later and as soon as she walked in the house her eyes started to water :)

I ran out and gave a jar to her workmate who's husband aparently likes chilli. We got a text 10 min later saying it was too hot for him.

Its wicked stuff. It smelt almost like orange marmilade cooking.

There were plenty of chillis to chop.

ORangehabsforpaste824x549.jpg

And plenty of jars of orange fire.

Orangehabpastebottles824x549.jpg

cheers

looks great Tony!

Just got given some more chillies, not sure what they are.. any suggestions?

IMG_5665.jpg

Quick taste test... chewed off the 3 "lobes" and was sadly disapointed, they just taste like a dry capsicum... passed the chilli to the FIL and said they are not spicy at all and he broke off a bit from the body of it and his eyes started watering, so i tried again and the body is spicy, not real spicy but a tottally different thing to the lobes...

Quick taste test... chewed off the 3 "lobes" and was sadly disapointed, they just taste like a dry capsicum... passed the chilli to the FIL and said they are not spicy at all and he broke off a bit from the body of it and his eyes started watering, so i tried again and the body is spicy, not real spicy but a tottally different thing to the lobes...

Hey Troy - I've got some of those plants - they are big volume producers and they are tops in salads, or too lower the heat of your habanero sauce.

Cheers,

InCider

Just got given some more chillies, not sure what they are.. any suggestions?

I have some of these growing at the moment, they are spicy but not as hot as the chillies.

My mum said they are called Bell Peppers but I am not sure if that is the correct name

Cheers,
Dave

Pickled Roasted Chillies.

I roasted some small habs, bell peppers and some yellow long ones. Each were sliced, and laid skin up on foil. I sprayed EV olive oil too. Then I added some sea salt and cracked pepper.

P4130149.jpg

I let then sit on 150 then 200 degrees in the fan forced oven until I could smell them roasting...

P4130151.jpg

Then they went into a sterilized jar with some kaffir lime leaves and shallots. I went out to my lemongrass and it was way too dry too harvest. Filled up with apple vinegar, and added mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.

P4130152.jpg
P4130153.jpg

I plan to use these chillies ad-hoc in salads and as a garnish.

InCider.

are the habs a bit "less" hot once they have been roasted mate?

I have a glut...... that looks like a great idea

cheers

are the habs a bit "less" hot once they have been roasted mate?

I have a glut...... that looks like a great idea

cheers

I'll try one in the next day or two.. but a whole lot of roasted, blended habs would make a lovely sauce or chilli oil... bugger I'm salivating again...!

:lol:

Sean

Pickled Roasted Chillies.

I roasted some small habs, bell peppers and some yellow long ones. Each were sliced, and laid skin up on foil. I sprayed EV olive oil too. Then I added some sea salt and cracked pepper.

P4130149.jpg

I let then sit on 150 then 200 degrees in the fan forced oven until I could smell them roasting...

P4130151.jpg

Then they went into a sterilized jar with some kaffir lime leaves and shallots. I went out to my lemongrass and it was way too dry too harvest. Filled up with apple vinegar, and added mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.

P4130152.jpg
P4130153.jpg

I plan to use these chillies ad-hoc in salads and as a garnish.

InCider.

A mate gave me a bag of those long yellow bastards, bloody hot! - the missus refuses to touch them :D Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

A mate gave me a bag of those long yellow bastards, bloody hot! - the missus refuses to touch them :D Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

They're the least hot of mine - apart from the Habs.

I had one of the yeller ones yesterday on Mexi-Brekky toast (bean salsa & sour cream on toast) and it was delicious.

Tony, they did lose a wee bit of heat, and the roasting came through. Next time I will turn them over so they are roasted both sides.... YUM! :D

InCider.

I was handed a bag of mixed chilli seeds yesterday. I have no idea what is what they are all mixed and I've been told they are from about 6-8 different varieties.
Given the weather and time of year am I able to plant these now?

My existing plants appear to be going through a healthy growth spurt so one would think I might be alright? But I thought I'd ask the experts :)

Im in Newcastle (NSW) by the way if that matters.

Chilli plants hate the winter. It kills most varieties.

Plant them in early spring and grow them through summer, thats their season.

cheers

my jalepeno chilis are having a ******* of a time, here in Melbourne its getting cooler and althought the plants look green and lush the ripening is definately slowing, most of the chillis have a slight bit of black aroud the top and I know from experience this means they are getting hotter, only a few are red, might have too get some 1 inch pvc pipe and clear placcy and build a hothouse over them.

Cheers Steve

Back