• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Chest Freezers & Condensation Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Guys I am looking to hear from those who use chest freezers for their kegging setups about the issues associated with condensation & other pros & cons of using a freezer v fridges. I am currently running 3 fridges & a chest freezer to service my kegging/ beer storage needs & any major power/cost saving is an attractive alternative provided other maintenance issues are not increased.
I would particularly like to hear from those who have made the move from fridges to freezers.

Cheers

Paul

The first chest freezer that I used used to get a bit of water in the bottom. My current one doesnt do this.

Im unable to explain why though.

I have been using a chest freezer for two years now and have not had a problem. My font is set-up in my bar with the freezer on the other side of the wall and it works great. More economical to run because the cold air does not come rushing out when you open the door. The only pita is that you have to lift the kegs out of the freezer. I can adjust it as low as I want with the external thermostat. Yes condensation builds up a little but as I said mine has been used this way for two years. All the blah, blah, blah about a converted freezer not being designed for this use and maybe it may "bugger up" sooner, is so far a myth to me :ph34r: . Go with what ever is good for you. Me I am sticking with my trusty chest freezer for the moment.

BYB

G'day Paul. I didn't make the change, I've only ever used a chesty for my kegs. I figured from the start that a chesty would hang on to the cold more efficiently. As far as condensation goes I used to get a lot, to the point that I had my kegs sitting on newspaper. Now I run a computer fan, attached to the timber collar, and I get little to no condensation. The freezer is now at a steady 3-5 degrees. Before it was 3-4 at the bottom and 8-10 at the top. :D

Back