Chest Freezer Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
HI GUYS,

looking into a setup intill i save the funds for a glycol system all help would be appericated.

What i want to do is put my kegs in a chest freezer x 4 kegs and my gas bottle.

I have a 2 tap font no the flodded type, i am going to attach this to the lid of the chest freezer, i want to keep the beer lines cool and have the font cooled "condesation look on it not frozen at this stage".

If i connect my non flooded tower to it through the lid and then have an ice cream tub or similar with ice water in it and a pond pump which i have to pump the ice water from the tub up to the tower top thorugh a tube then let the water come out the top of the tube and fall back in to the tub through the bottom of the tower will this be enough to keep the tower and the beer line cool "condesation showing on the font?" also as the bottom of the tower will be open into the chest freezer with this help with cold air also flowing up the draught tower?

your comments would be great also and pics of this or has anybody done it before or have some plans of it done before

thanks

cheers and beers

matt.

P.S i would love a setup like ross for craftbrewers has but i guess the missus wont so "shell have to go" sounds like a good deal !

ello Matt

It might work, but you would probably need a bigger water container, thermal mass and all that stuff, to pump from.
You could put a garden micro spray fitting on the end of the tube inside the font.
Biggest problem would be controlling the direction of the water dribbling down the beer lines and all over the freezer.
A small fan inside the freezer would help to circulate the cold air around and may be a more practical solution, maybe position it to blow the cold air up the font.

i was going to use say a 10ltr bucket and have this positioned just below so when the water comes back down it will glow into the bucket or other wise i was going to line the bottom of the freezer with a big tray and fill the bottom of the freezer with water and pump from bottom of freezer back up to top of font then let the fater fall from the font to the freezer bottom again, as the kegs have rubber feet and are stainlees i think this might work ? what do you think do you know of anywhere where they use a setup like this to cool the font etc.

cheers and beers

matt

Matt,

Just use a fan with a length of tube to blow right up inside the font - IMO this would be a much simpler & more effective solution.

cheers Ross

thank ross, what kind of fan / tube side do you think ? can you buy these in kits, also am after a termostat thingy to cange freezer to fride and digital if poss do u sell these ?? by using tube and fan will this give me condesation on the font perhaps 50mm pvc pipe from low in freezer to bottom of font to blow air up with 12volt fan inside you think this would work ??.

p.S ILL SEND THE TRUCK OVER TO YOUR PLACE TO COLLECT THE COOLROOM - NICE JOB !! LOOKS ACE !!!.

Matt

thank ross, what kind of fan / tube side do you think ? can you buy these in kits, also am after a termostat thingy to cange freezer to fride and digital if poss do u sell these ?? by using tube and fan will this give me condesation on the font perhaps 50mm pvc pipe from low in freezer to bottom of font to blow air up with 12volt fan inside you think this would work ??.

p.S ILL SEND THE TRUCK OVER TO YOUR PLACE TO COLLECT THE COOLROOM - NICE JOB !! LOOKS ACE !!!.

Matt

Matt.

Fan from any electronics company, like DickSmith Jaycar. Bit of polytube from Bunnings. Thermostat thingy, yes, we sell them.

cheers Ross

[Fridgemate Temp Controller is that what i need to turn my chest freezer into a fridge, eg run the frezzer at fridge temp or is it something else ??

[Fridgemate Temp Controller is that what i need to turn my chest freezer into a fridge, eg run the frezzer at fridge temp or is it something else ??

That's it :)

cheers Ross

Back