Chest Freezer Is Always Running

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
Hey I got a chest freezer and it seems to be always on. there is ice on the inside but only at the very top of the freezer. I have the temp set at 4c but it seems to always be above 5c. my temp prob may be out but nothing is frozen not even the stubbies so I am hoping that there is a fix??? I dont want to buy another one, but if I do it will be new as can get one for $300 or pay $200 on ebay for a 5-10 year old one that will prob do the same thing again.

any help would be good,

cheers, Kelby

Hey I got a chest freezer and it seems to be always on. there is ice on the inside but only at the very top of the freezer. I have the temp set at 4c but it seems to always be above 5c. my temp prob may be out but nothing is frozen not even the stubbies so I am hoping that there is a fix??? I dont want to buy another one, but if I do it will be new as can get one for $300 or pay $200 on ebay for a 5-10 year old one that will prob do the same thing again.

any help would be good,

cheers, Kelby

The news isn't good, Kelby.

If the compressor is running hard out and it's 5C ... it's lost refrigerant, and is kaput.

But wait for a second opinion, because although I've had this happen a few times (and it was never anything else) I'm no refridgeoligist.

yeah thats what I thought I know a guy does aircon but from what I have read if it losses it there is a leak some where so I doubt re gasing it will work. I have played with the settings a bit hoping it may been something there but being powered by a temp control cant see how that will help.

No good mate, I had the exact same thing happen to me on my first keezer...

It has lost gas, its not a matter of re-gassing because it will just lose that too.... It has 'leaked' the gas somehow and until your repair the leak it is shagged - repairing the leak could be virtually impossible as it may be at a point where the lines are inside the body making it irreparable....

This is all 'as far as I know', I am know fridgie so others may have better news but mine did the exact same thing and its what was wrong... in 2 days it wont be able to get below 8* then 12* and so on.

I bit the bullet and bought a new one, extended the warranty and attached the collar with ratchet straps as to not mod the fridge and void warranty.

2c.

EDIT: Ratchet strap collar

thats a great idea with the straps cocko. I think I have con'd the misses into buying a new one but I have been playing with the idea how to attach the collar all arvo as mine now is siliconed on there. Did you just use like a draft seal or something between the collar and body?? Seen people use that stuff from clark rubber but they are dear as poison with there gear. I think I got some foam draft proofing seal laying around anyway.

Yeah mate, I think its draft seal.. not sure of name, I got it from Mitre 10, in a roll, its grey... Its similar shit to a pool noodle is made from. if that helps! :blink:

I just laid/cut it to size and clamped down on it, it works awesomely mate, compressor runs about 6-10 times a day depending on ambient, so it must be sealing well. I will grab you some better pics if needed but its all pretty basic...

Cut the hook end of the strap and screw to collar.
Run straps under freezer to ratchets
Screw ratchets to collar
Tighten.

Extended warranty for mine means 5 years, I think it cost about $80 extra.... but if the freezer dies, I just unstrap the collar, re-fit the lid to the freezer [6 screws] and all is good! "What circle marks on the bottom are you talking about repair man?" haha!

Also, I guess if I ever want to resell it, not that I can see that happening, but I can sell it as a chesty or a keezer...

Win, win and winning!

Cheers!

If you've got a 320lt freezer and put a 20cm collar on it (like I have) you have added 80lts to the volume that has no cooling lines running through it. This warm air up top will warm the taps and lines to some degree and, when circulated by a fan, make it harder for the compressor cooling unit to work to its full potential, but it will still work. I found my keg-eezer had lost gas and was doing it hard but after a regas she was fine. Not to say that it will not deteriorate as there is obviously a leak somewhere, but the work that went into the collar means I will not be tossing it on the tip. It is impossible to trace and fix a leaking line. If all else fails and it keeps loosing coolant then I'll get a fridgy to make up an external cooling unit and run it through the collar. In the meantime I will be getting an insulation mat and laying it above the kegs so that the space up top does not matter.

IMGP2921.jpg

yeah think I will reinforce the bottom with timber to. I found a 150lt that seems wider and longer so should fit 6 kegs but its depth is less so may need a bigger collar will check it out tomorrow. Pain in the arse but I guess it will be more efficient and will look better (may even be able to convince SWMBO to bring it inside) lol one thing at a time I guess.

I know the stuff you mean cocko I think I have half a roll of it here but not sure if its 20mm or 10mm wide or if I have enough to double it up. Also I guess you used pan head screws and washers to prevent tearing, Well thats my plan anyway

hmm hogan sounds alright but the cost and the stuff around may not be worth it I can get $300 freezer tomorrow and save power from then or wait another fortnight and try get it done on a weekend and pay heaps plus the elec bill. I think I will be better off paying the $300 and extra warranty to have peace of mind, working 10 days straight when you are 4 hours from home makes it hard to get shit fixed

i used closed cell draught excluder from bunnings on my new build, stuck that to the freezer with the sticky side down and then siliconed the collar to the foam side. Means i can take the collar off if i have to and just wipe up the glue with a bit of 95% alc.

Ok bought a new freezer, the one they had for $299 was 5mm off the depth to fit a keg side by side. Seems they dont build them for kegs lol the one I got is about 5mm off width ways to fit another 2 kegs in there :rolleyes: oh well 4 is enough I think. Just building the collar now so will see what I come up with to fix it down.

Ok bought a new freezer, the one they had for $299 was 5mm off the depth to fit a keg side by side. Seems they dont build them for kegs lol the one I got is about 5mm off width ways to fit another 2 kegs in there :rolleyes: oh well 4 is enough I think. Just building the collar now so will see what I come up with to fix it down.

I'm looking to replace mine which died a very similar death about 6 weeks ago. Was the $299 on special somewhere local?

Thanks

Adam

yeah it was at bennets green. But it would only be good for 2 kegs maybe 3 if your lucky. Mine should fit 5 in it looking not 2 on the bottom next to each other and one on the bottom in the middle so its between the other 2 and 2 on the hump. will get a pic now of it lol

nop can take the foam out later. one side is sticky and seems to peel off easy. if not like punkin said a bit of glue remover will get it as long as it dont take the plastic off with it

ok this is really frustrating! The new freezer ether does not work or something is really fucked up in my shed. its been on since about 4pm yesterday and the bottle in there said 18.9deg and this morning it says 17.8 deg and the walls are cool but not cold and the compressor is running. I have taken it off the temp control to see if some how that is draining the power supplied to the freezer or what.

Never heard of a temp controller making it not run properly, any way will give it another 3 or so hours and see if its cooled down anymore. :huh:

maybe check your voltage at the power point. Low volts can cause issues with fridges.

I've had issues when the thermal mass has been low. Have you tried putting in a few jerrys of water etc?

the walls are about 20deg by touch and the compressor was running, Will check it again soon as its not plugged into the temp controller, yeah the point might be stuffed as had stereo go funny on the point next to it once (double point). but got 2 other temp controllers hooked upto the same circuit and all are fine

Latest posts

Back