Chest Freezer Is Always Running

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think your right alfadog volts is only 205v out of that point. strange it ran fine out of that point for a year, Oh well will keep that one quiet took enough convincing to get a new freezer and it wasnt the problem :eek: . will try it into a point that has 247v and see how it goes. thought it was strange it was only using 1.3kw a day even though it was running flat out, I would of thought a old freezer running all the time would chew heaps more then that.

Kelby,

when you try it in the next power point, put hand on the outside front wall of the keezer, if it is cranking hot, she is running well.

A sign of good health apparrently.

Cheers,
D80

lol at least I got a new freezer. Yeah the old one was hot outside and had ice inside the new one is no where near cold enough for ice to form.

Yeah I thought it was gas related to cocko been fine in that powerpoint over a year, Oh well :p

the walls are about 20deg by touch and the compressor was running, Will check it again soon as its not plugged into the temp controller, yeah the point might be stuffed as had stereo go funny on the point next to it once (double point). but got 2 other temp controllers hooked upto the same circuit and all are fine

many temp controllers are able to operate between 220V and 240V, If it is a long run of power cable then you may need to upgrade the power to the shed. If the voltage is low at the switchboard then the electricity supply authority should fix it.

ok may not be the problem still only about 18 deg to touch the inside walls and its not cooling at all. Oh well back to the shop it goes, I guess I should try the next one before I put the collar on.

ok may not be the problem still only about 18 deg to touch the inside walls and its not cooling at all. Oh well back to the shop it goes, I guess I should try the next one before I put the collar on.

At 207V it will be the problem. I was just explaining how your micro controllers did not burn out with low volts. At that low voltage it will burn out the compressor motor.

yeah I turner it off and let it sit for a hour as I had to move it a bit to get to the other power point so not sure if it will help. I read somewhere the new fridges and freezers didnt need to stand but will try it anyway.

yeah I turner it off and let it sit for a hour as I had to move it a bit to get to the other power point so not sure if it will help. I read somewhere the new fridges and freezers didnt need to stand but will try it anyway.
Hey kelbygreen, after reading your post I was just wondering how many fridges/freezers you had on he one circuit to your shed,

there is 3 but it has been running 3 for 18 months with no troubles. Only thing different is that I changed the only porcelain fuse wire to a circuit breaker a few weeks ago, but the fuse was rated at 15amps and the breaker 16amps. the unit says it uses .30A but its drawing .14-.15 and only 33w :S does not sound right to me. the other 2 fridges work perfectly and they are on the last point in the circuit. I am lost with this one, just strange 2 freezers do the same thing yet the 2 fridges work perfect

have you checked the defrost settings? does the freezer run an electric element defrost?

nop all it says to defrost it to turn the freezer off, take the food out, open the drain plug and connect hose if wanted and just pour hot water down the drain and leave it open till the ice melts and dry it out. So I guess it does not have a auto defrost setting

Hey KB have you tried it without the temp controller? Your temp controller or probe could be shot. I have a shot probe that runs +10 deg.

Cheers

yep tried it without it, tried it just plugged into the socket (well 4 different ones), tried letting it sit for a few hours and plugging it back in, tried hot setting and cold setting and inbetween. It may just be I got a dodgy unit? but strange both have the same symptoms and they are about 25years apart lol

so did you say its running at 207V and Drawing 14-15A?

well one point was running at 207V so I put it into one that was running at 246V and it was only drawing 0.14-0.15A but the unit says it it uses 0.30A and it was only drawing 30W. I am only using one them crappy appliance monitor things so not sure how accurate it is.

another stupid question but when you transported it from the shop did you keep it upright?

yep its been kept upright for as long as I have had it. Not sure when they had it but I know to transport and carry them upright :p

Back