Chest Freezer Collar.... How Do I Make One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any power supply around 12V DC will work. I have a 13.5V one scavanged from an old dead printer. just make sure it's DC, check the polarity (which wires go where ie. black to black, red to red etc) when you wire it up to make sure it spins the right direction and make sure it supplies enough juice to spin the fan (they don't need much).

dead printer hey.... hmmmm I may just have the thing....

Is this the sought of power supply needed???

Linky
Cheers, Pok

Your link to ebay didn't work for me, but if you decide to go the computer supply route, your after an ATX power supply, wattage doesn't matter. Any one will be awesome for fans.

They look like this when out of the computer case.
untitled.JPG

but like bonj said, you could use any 12 V power supply

Finally attached my Drip tray after seeing this method used by another AHB Member. Looks a little silly but does the job, and could look worse. As intended at the start I did not want to drill into the freezer itself.

Chest_freezer_with_tray.jpg

Cheers, Pok

Finally attached my Drip tray after seeing this method used by another AHB Member. Looks a little silly but does the job, and could look worse. As intended at the start I did not want to drill into the freezer itself.

View attachment 16586

Cheers, Pok

Looks the goods Pok.

How wide is that your drip tray?

cliffo

View attachment 16586

Cheers, Pok

looks good from where i sit Pok, nice job.

cheers
yard

Thats about the perfect size for my needs.

Where did you get it and how much did it set you back?

cheers,
cliffo

Bought it off a fellow AHB member for around $60 from memory. I think I bought it off Frogman. That was ages ago. Not sure where you could get one at a reasonable price.

Pok

Bought it off a fellow AHB member for around $60 from memory. I think I bought it off Frogman. That was ages ago. Not sure where you could get one at a reasonable price.

Pok

Always the dilema - SS & reasonable price generally aren't mentioned in the same sentence. :)

Will have to keep an eye out around the place.

cheers Pok,
cliffo

I have just bought a 2nd hand chest freezer and can't get 1 corny in next to the hump. :angry: Does anyone know if adding a 20 cm collar would be too high? If I can add a collar that high I will fit 4 kegs in OK.

Thanks Razz - its only a 60 x 60 freezer - the Minister for War and Finance will kill me if I tell her that the $80 2nd hand freezer is not fit for purpose.

I'll be scouring the forums aswell for tips & tricks - i am particulary hazy on the connection of the collar to the freezer and to get a proper seal between the 2. I think there are a few posts around but I'd like to find a recent one which has the latest & greatest ideas etc.

Looks like all good things come to an end :(

Seems my chesty may have gone to kegerator heaven. Freezer is still getting 'cold' but only to about 6-8deg and seems to be running non-stop. No wonder my power bill went up so much. The high bill was what made me pay attention.

I will get someone to have a look at it before I bin it, but if it does get its final reading then I guess this thread will be relevant again...well sort of.

Pok

I had the same freezer I believe, and copied your collar on mine... it died a horrible death a few years ago... didn't last very long actually, but since the manufacturer (Centrex) went out of business shortly be fore it died, that was it.

I ended up replacing it with a Kegmate from Craftbrewer. Half the number of kegs (3), but I would rarely have the 3 taps pouring anyway.

The weird thing is it will freeze in the top right hand side of the freezer, only thing I can think is that is where the 'coldest' spot of the coils run. Will have to get it checked tho. But research on a new setup has started. Might be a good excuse to build a bar to put my font on.

Latest posts

Back