Chest Freezer Collar.... How Do I Make One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weird thing is it will freeze in the top right hand side of the freezer, only thing I can think is that is where the 'coldest' spot of the coils run. Will have to get it checked tho. But research on a new setup has started. Might be a good excuse to build a bar to put my font on.
Not trying to state the obvious but - I think it's stuffed mate :( Don't waste your time getting it checked. If it needs to be re-gassed, thanks to the Labor govt, the price of re-gassing fridges/freezers is more expensive than what they are worth. My old man had an old freezer he took fishing every year and the re-gas this year was going to cost ~$900 as opposed to the usual ~200. Thanks Julia!

I'll be scouring the forums aswell for tips & tricks - i am particulary hazy on the connection of the collar to the freezer and to get a proper seal between the 2. I think there are a few posts around but I'd like to find a recent one which has the latest & greatest ideas etc.

i just sit my lid on top most days (i do have a pull down bungy strap on each side like on a ute tray cover) as i took of the hinges so i could push it right back on the wall(sits 2cm of wall for ventalation),i have a pc fan in there which run though some pvc pipe to bring cold air from the bottom to the top,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember cold air falls ,i can take the top of for 10-15 min and the temp in the bottom of the freezer will only rise by about 1 deg and that just air temp,

i just sit my lid on top most days (i do have a pull down bungy strap on each side like on a ute tray cover) as i took of the hinges so i could push it right back on the wall(sits 2cm of wall for ventalation),i have a pc fan in there which run though some pvc pipe to bring cold air from the bottom to the top,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember cold air falls ,i can take the top of for 10-15 min and the temp in the bottom of the freezer will only rise by about 1 deg and that just air temp,

i just use no more gaps between the two as it was whight( but white barthroom silicon might be better as you should get no mould growing in it)

i just use no more gaps between the two as it was whight( but white barthroom silicon might be better as you should get no mould growing in it)

Finally after months and months of searching I acquired a new freezer to replace my centrex that is at the start of this thread, it died :( and I have been procrastinating over this for a long time and it put my brewing on hold as I had no way to dispense my beer....so finally I can get some ferments happening againg.

The freezer is a kelvinator H210H. Cost me about $140 second hand but it was local so saved me spending any more time and money mucking around trying to find a replacement.

It will fit 4 kegs with gas bottle inside, could do 5 kegs but would have to put the gas bottle outside and I want everything 'enclosed' this time around. Might even go to the effort to mount the temp controller in the body of the freezer somewhere but that can wait .

The one thing that I am questioning is how to mount my drip tray this time though, I didn't like the look of the brackets last time around. Any tips would be great. Maybe I 'glue' some brakets to the front of the freezer so you can't really see the mounting hardware...

Here is some photos of the collar constuction for the new baby.

A front shot. I have not yet sealed the timber or drilled the mounting holes for the taps. I am going to reuse the taps I already have. I would love to replace with some sexier taps but at this stage the budge doesn't allow it.
front.jpg

Front shot before lid mounted
before lid.jpg

Rear shot showing lid attached to collar and collar attached to orignal lid mounting hole.
rear.jpg

The collar is two layers. The inner layer is pine that I ripped down to approx 170mm and it sits on top of the freezer. The outerlayer is maple and looks pretty sexy. Should look schmick with a new clear coat on it to give it a little shine.

This photo shows the mitre joint, photo was taken with just the clamps holding things in place to see how it fits. The two collars are now flush to each other.

Mitre.jpg

Inner collar is just butt jointed and screwed together, also has 'angle' brackets to help support it. Outer collar is mitred and glued and screwed to the inner collar. The outer collar is only fitted to the front and sides, not rear.

Inside corner.jpg

See the keg fits ;)

inside.jpg

I have re-used the rubber seal from my old kegerator between the collar and the top of the freezer to keep it nice and air/moisture tight.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask or if you would like a photo of something in particular let me know.I thought I would put these up in the hope that maybe one photo will help someone else wanting to do the same thing. I know my previous build was well received so here we are.

A few photos with a clear coat on the timber and taps in place.

Taps In
tapsinstalled.jpg

In pride of place.
newhome.jpg

Latest posts

Back