Chest Freezer Collar.... How Do I Make One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just purchased a nice new centrex 200 ltr chest freezer (more money than i was willing at the start but I figure it will deffinately pay off in the future) that I'm going to use for my kegs. No what I want to do is build a collar for it so I can put my current door taps through it without having to modify the freezer at all (thus losing my warranty).

How did you build yours?

What material should i use? I was thinking kitchen grade (Waterproof) chipboard or similar with a white laminate to match the freezer.

How do I seal the collar to keep the cold air in but also be able to remove it with ease if I need to have a fridgie look at it during warranty period?

Do I need a to install a computer fan? if so what is the best way to install this?

Thanks heaps to all, I have searched the forum and only come up with pictures so far... and only a few at that.

Cheers, Pok :chug:

Pok,
I used quality plywood and filled it with a can of expandable foam.
It has 2 computer fans mounted to the underside of the lid and recently moved into the digital age with the replacement of the old Tobins controller.
I made the collar high so i could fill it with kegs and bottles and just gave the outside a coat of paint.
It was a second hand freezer and it's been going for almost 3 years without missing a beat.

collar_01.JPG

In the pic it has cling wrap underneath ready to fill it with foam to create the seal.

hope this helps

- Luke

OK <_< with the Centrex 200 :
1 Use 3" x 1.5" timber for the collar, hardwood if you can get it.
2 If using pine seal it very well, I did and it works a treat, BUT must be sealed.
3 With a 3" collar the hinge moves up to upper holes just in the perfect position to drill the holes in the collar.
4 Glue it on [can't remember the brand or type :( ] marine grade it was, and let it cure, don't keep lifting the lid and looking at your good work [like I did].
5 It now has a computer fan.
6 A pump has been in from the first day for the flooded font.
7 The Centrix has been going for over a year now and not missed a beat.

And bugger I can't seem to be able to post any photos at the moment.

any pictures of the finished product

Im looking at doing this to a 320 liter freezer myself

cheers

Pok,
Here's a couple of links i've had bookmarked for awhile, you might have already seen them but some good tips in there.

LINK 1

LINK 2

cheers

yard

Hey Pok,

Just run the lines under the freezer seal at the back and mount the taps to a wall or similar. No modification required at all.
Simple and cheap and effective.

I can post a pic tomorrow if you want.

cheers

Darren

Hey darren,

Those pics would be great. The less modification the better.

Cheers, Pok

Doesn't really answer the original question, because you've already bought a freezer.

But if you can get hold of one of these it solves a lot of hassle. These have sliding lids which allow a narrow piece of ply to be fitted at one end to allow a hole to be drilled (and sealed) to bring out your lines.

Obviously doesn't give you any extra height (although 6 cornies are no problem), but is a good option. The other advantage is that these are commercial type freezers and should run for ever.

Bought this one for around $400 on ebay.

freezer.jpg

Cheers
Peter

ImageStation photos Here of the freezer taken a year ago.

No glycol [green crap] now.

side_view_freezer.jpgHey Pok,

A bit longer than tomorrow but here it is. Sorry for the crappy drawing but I cant find the old photos and the camera batteries are flat :angry:

You will get the general idea though. I have attached mine to the original hinges on the freezer.

No drilling required for this set-up. Lid opens perfectly to allow you to put in/take out kegs. Lines go under the seal at the back.

cheers

Darren

Hi All,

After much anticipation I took delivery of my NEW, yep thats right I'm a splurger.... My assumption was new will use less electricity and should last longer. anyway to the point.

Freezer arrived so first thing i did was remove the lid by detaching the hinges.

Collar now built but needs to be sealed and painted. here is a few photos of the current setup.

Thanks to all who helped with photos, plans, linkys etc... greatly appreciated by myself and also anyone else looking for the same info.

:party:

Just a view withe the collar in place and taps.

_1.jpg

Inside view. _2.jpg

View from the back where the collar is attached to the original bolt holes for the hinges and the hinges are screwed to the collar. This means no modification to the freezer itself which was my One cruicial point.
back.jpg

This is the rubber seal that i'm going to use on the underneath of the collar. 9mm rubber seal available from Clark rubber, was about $4/m I think, I wanted a wider strip but they didn't have any so I will put two rows. The seal has an adhesive back so no glue or anything needed :D
Seal.jpg

Nice job Pok, should have mine done by tomorrow.

Cheers

Well there has been more work going on with my freezer collar... I got drowned under uni work etc so the collar didn't get touched till the last week or two.

Since the last pics I have:

- removed the collar and painted it with high gloss white paint.
- added two more taps
- moved the gas bottle outside of the freezer
- Replaced the alluminium bracket with timber to make the collar much more sturdy
- Attached the rubber seal underneath the collar so there is no need to glue or seal the collar to the freezer.
seal2.jpg

Rubber seal - Purchased from clark rubber, comes with a sticky backing.... just peel off and stick down.

collar_attachment.jpg

I made a small bracket to attach the collar to the original mounting holes. This was made from an old 'P' plate bracket

hinge.jpg

The hinge then locked over this and was anchored into the collar

back_view.jpg

With the plastic covers put back on it looks neat and tidy once again

before_taps.jpg

Its now time to add the taps

finished.jpg

Four taps now installed and ready to go... well nearly..... Just waiting on a gas manifold, once that is hooked up it shall be time for a test run.

I'll post a picy or two of the gas setup aswell.

Pok :beer:

Looks awesome. I just bought a centrex 200L, so I'll be doing something similar. I like the idea of not doing any permanent modifications during the warranty period.

Well I just picked up my huge freezer I got off ebay for $66 works a treat and is fully stainless steel lined
Im going to add a collar and 6 taps if all goes well
Heres what she looks like before I start modding

freezer.jpg

Hope it turns out a treat just like mine Franko.

Back