Cherry Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
I have a wheat beer fermenting ATM and will be putting 1.5kG fresh cherries into it which have been deseeded and frozen. Was wondering when i put them in secondary should i puree them or put them in as is??

Cheers

KHB

I have a wheat beer fermenting ATM and will be putting 1.5kG fresh cherries into it which have been deseeded and frozen. Was wondering when i put them in secondary should i puree them or put them in as is??

Cheers

KHB

Bleeding good question! Wish I knew 'cause I have about a kilo or two of cheeries in the freezer that could not have a better end than that....

Put them in the 2ndary.
Do not boil them unless you want to is the real answer.
Do you want the flavour of fresh cherries (tart and dry=lambicishness) or cooked cherries (sweet cherry pie)

In lambic brewing, the pits are left in for more flavor.

Just let the beer sit on them for 6 months or more.

I added a good whack of frozen seeded sour cherries (6 kg) to a wit a few months back, what I ended up doing was putting them in (sanitised!) old pantyhose legs that I tied off. When it came time to bottling all I had to do was to life out the pantyhose-cherry sausages, rather than mess around trying to clean out a sticky mess from the bottom of the fermentor.

Just remember to check with SWMBO about which pantyhose she's willing to let you have!

Back