Checklist For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hey guys, going from extract to all grain via biab, putting an order through on craft brewer now, just wanted to make sure I don't leave anything out that I'll need.

40l crown urn with concealed element
Biab bag
Hop sock
Thermometer (not sure what to get, are the weld less ones on craft brewer able to be used as a normal thermometer or do they need to be attached to the urn?)
Cube for no chill

Anything else I'm going to need?

Cheers

may as well get a FWK instead of the no chill cube, same cube for an extra $30 you get some great beer.

Thermo doesn't have to be mounter to work.
Got a big spoon?
Other then that. All i can think of is Ingredients. Have fun! :beerbang:

If you use passive lagging with a doonah or similar (advised) then all you need is a stick thermometer to dip in the strike water / mash - Ross's models are fine - you don't need to constantly monitor the urn itself.

Also if you are down the hill, a metal paint stirrer from a Dulux Centre - they make awesome mash "pumpers"

I used to use these hop socks but found I didn't get a good agitation of the hops when boiling so I've now got a couple of these grain bags which I peg round the top of the urn and make a swimming pool for the hoppys, chuck in a few spoons etc to weigh it down so it doesn't billow up too much. They are useful for all sorts of other things as well and easily strain out nearly all the pellet debris.
Also a good time to order some Starsan for the cube etc if you don't already have any. Watch out for the cube, I don't know if it gets posted as part of the 25k - might get charged extra - I'd head for BCF or a hardware store if you are passing.

I brew similarly to how you plan to BIAB, I wouldn't bother with the hop sock myself. I use pelletised hops and they break up almost instantaneously and they settle fairly well with a whirlpool at the end of the boil.

I use a simple thermometer (similar to this one) with a bit of string tied to the top of it, then I use a bulldog clip to clamp it to the side of the urn. This way I can keep the lid on during the mash and lift the lid a bit to check the temp when I want. Also, I have a thermometer for other use as it is not a part of the urn.
Sorry, I don't know about the weldless ones.

Apart from that you will need a paddle to stir in the grain and to create a whirlpool. I just use the plastic paddle that I got when I bought a starter kit (the kind that has everything needed to begin kit brewing).

You may want to get a metre or so of tube for running the wort into the cube. I use a metre of this silicon tube from CB. This is not for any Hot Side Aeration issue (realistic or mythical, I don't know either way), it's a safety issue, basically so I don't splash myself with bloody hot wort and also so that I get the wort where I want it: in the cube. When attaching to the urn I also use a hose clamp that I got from the hardware store, the kind where you can just screw it tight and then loosen it for removal. It's a bit of a tight fit, but it does go on the tap with a bit of effort.

If you don't have any already, perhaps order some grain for your first brew?

Note: while the urn will probably boil fine for the first few brews, it won't continue to do so. There is a thread about the urn you may want to read. I own a 40L Crown with a concealed element and rather than modifying it I purchased a stock pot (60L) drilled and fitted with a ball valve and eletric element for boiling from Craftbrewer. (Let me know if you want more details).

Thread about the issues
The reason I don't mod my urn.
Also search for Crown Urn and have a read.

I use my urn to mash in, I drain that to the 60L stock pot for the boil and I drop the wort into a cube from there.

I hope this helps.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Hey cheers for replies guys, think I should be right now, just the matter of a thermometer, I was going to get the digital stick thermometer from craft brewer but they are out of stock, anyone know of a decent digital stick/probe thermometer on eBay? There are a few different ones but hard to tell if they're decent quality or not, cheers josh

A cheapo chinese refractometer from ebay comes in real handy.
A length of silicon hose and a clamp to get from urn into a cube without splashing too much is also good.
A pulley makes life a bit easier also (if you have a ladder can lean it against the wall and just tie pulley to a rung).
Maybe later on a roasting rack or cake rack to hold bag off the bottom so you can heat with the bag in to mashout etc

Although not really necessary but a ball valve to replace the tap in the urn is handy and it is easier to replace it whilst the urn is new than to fight it later.

Definitely get some silicone hose for the tap. I like the stock tap and I don't use a clamp for the hose. If you put the hose on while the tap and hose are dry, I find it stays on very nicely and is even sort of hard to get off afterwards. If you put it on wet it slides off too easily.

Although not really necessary but a ball valve to replace the tap in the urn is handy and it is easier to replace it whilst the urn is new than to fight it later.

yep i would be replacing the crappy burko tap with a real ball valve.

He's getting a Crown urn. This is mentioned in the OP. The Crown urn tap is good.

Latest posts

Back