Check Me Out Now!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
I just wanted to post a huge kick arse :beerbang: THANK YOU!!!!! :beerbang: to all the people who have helped, you know who you are! Im really enjoying it more than I ever thought I would. Not to mention I have learnt so much in these past 3 weeks its almost scary.

To recap for those who dont know I got a link to this forum from 'Brauluver' who saw my post on BA. He encouraged me to try an extract and while that was fermenting I have been reading for about 3 hours a day for 3 weeks. I still feel i have only learnt about 1% of brewing which is great because I love to learn new things.

I got so much confidence from the look and taste of the extract that i just had to try one of my favorite styles. A partial mash hefewizen. I brewed it today with no hitches. The best part is that I was chirpy and whisiling while I was brewing and everything just flowed smoothly, I only needed to glance at the instructions and already knew what I was doing, which was a big change from my bumbling, nevious and paranoid first brew.

I even bottled today with the help of my girlfriend (she got to put the carbonation drops in ) who actually enjoyed herself, either that or she enjoyed eating my drops :p

Well I just wanted to let everyone know how much I apreciate thier help. I have posted about 20 topics over that last 3 weeks and all have been replyed to promptly and in a easy to read manner no matter how noob they were.

So again thank you and I thought you might like enjoy this picture of my fridge which I took this afternoon. 2 weeks ago this fridge was empty apart from a few LCPA and Sam Adams, now im strugling for space!

Brew on! :super:

Blake,

brewfridge.jpg

Yes Finite brew on....brew on :beer:

Make sure you share your beer at uni and get them into brew too. I have a friend who is finishing up his PhD and the school is throwing a bit of a farewell party...there will be beer :D

:) On ya Finite, I realised you were a serious beer lover from ya posts on BA.
Home brew is the logical progression for a true beer lover.
Kits lead to extracts and partial mash to Ag and the learning curve just keeps on rising.Your taste buds will guide you from here .Almost any style of beer you like is available to you @ home with the right ingredients,and yeast,and experimentation.In the effort to attain a certain style you will make many brews that are not quite what u were trying to do, but are still better than a lot of commercial crap. In doing this you will fine tune your palate and discover a whole new world of malt, hops, and yeast varieties all with their own character and peculiarities.

Welcome to brewing at home(tradition),a hobby that will become your obsession. :eek:

Good on you Finite!

Nice of you to write a long post of thanks to those who helped and for you to keep them updated. Look forward to hearing how your first brew goes - it's going to taste great!

I can't believe you are doing a partial mash already - I am very jealous! (What's that fermenter in the fridge have in it?)

Cheers PP :beer:

PistolPatch said:
(What's that fermenter in the fridge have in it?)
[post="106438"][/post]​

Thats the hefe:

When I saw the pic with the fermenter in the fridge, I thought you might have some sort of lager in secondary but I suppose you have the hefe in the fridge cooling down before you pitch. If so, love to know how long it takes to cool down. Cheers Finite!

PistolPatch said:
When I saw the pic with the fermenter in the fridge, I thought you might have some sort of lager in secondary but I suppose you have the hefe in the fridge cooling down before you pitch. If so, love to know how long it takes to cool down. Cheers Finite!
[post="106448"][/post]​

Its already pitched, I cooled the pre wort pot down in the launrdy tub which was filled with frozen water bottles and added it to the fermenter with water then the wort was about 24, so i pitched and its in the fridge to ferment.

The fridge is actually set to keep the beer at about 22-23c-ish its on the warmest setting and on a timer. The probe on the side is a digital themometer, I get a bit more of an acurate reading on the side because the fermenting beer is obviously warmer than the air in the fridge. The themometer has a High/Low setting which means i can look at the end of each day how the temps have been going between which lets me tweak the timer more.

Finite, Look at you go! It's a fantastic and interesting craft and the help available here is priceless. Good luck with your hefe (German Pron. "Hayefaveetsen", "hayefa = yeast") did you use a wheat yeast?

On, On, Brew, Brew

Screwtop said:
did you use a wheat yeast?
[post="106453"][/post]​

White Labs hefeweizen ale yeast (WLP300)

I was ESB asking for the ingredients and when I said "oh and yeast, i need a........" he interupted me and knew exactly the one I was about to say....that was comforting :)

Thank God for that Finite! I thought you had your fermenter in a fridge at 2-6 degrees and pitched! I should have known from your posts that you wouldn't do such a thing! So the tallies in there are on secondary. Ah! Now I get it! Good on you - can't beleive you have a dedicated fermenting fridge already. Once again, I am jealous! ;)

Yep hehe you got it...dont worry i would of thought the same thing ;-). The fridge is just an old beer and bait fridge that was doing nothing so its pretty convinient.

Finite,

All is well with the world.

Your enthusiasm is most excellent.

And a real bonus of a hefeweizen is that it turns around quickly.

So whats next on the agenda... light, dark, ale, lager, extract, partial, full mash, light, heavy, mid-strength, comtemporary, traditional, aromatic, fruity, spicy, hebaceous, malty, bitter, English, European, American, Australian, African, Asian or something completely different.

Keen to know,

Keith

Now you've done it Keith. Filled his head with too many directions that it may explode. Wait till I purchase my next lot of grain...

Uh oh! This is going to hurt me....

Steve

Keith the Beer Guy said:
So whats next on the agenda... light, dark, ale, lager, extract, partial, full mash, light, heavy, mid-strength, comtemporary, traditional, aromatic, fruity, spicy, hebaceous, malty, bitter, English, European, American, Australian, African, Asian or something completely different.
[post="106476"][/post]​

lol.....ahh my mind is racing with posibilities. Im thinking a belgium dark ale. how hard would that be to partial mash?

]

lol.....ahh my mind is racing with posibilities. Im thinking a belgium dark ale. how hard would that be to partial mash?
[post="106479"][/post]​
[/quote]
About as hard and as easy as most beer styles are if you want them to be. Just give it a go!

Back