Cheap Urn On Ebay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have u used it yet? Can it achieve a good rolling boil in a good time frame?

Yep. Entirely illegal. Though the catch 22 here is going to be, if used for anything other than boiling water they will likely refuse to honour the return anyway. Wish crown would make one designed for beer, they replied to my email..maybe in the future.

meh just clean it up good, as if they'd notice

I will post some pics when I can, the soon to be mother-in-law is down from Brisbane for the weekend, so my time with new toys is limited.

Could you also post the internal dimensions? We'll need to know what sort of bucket we can fit in there ;)

Took some photos, will post more soon. I have the water on to boil at the moment for an extract APA.

35L is the total internal size unfortunately, I dare say any more than 28-30 will overflow when boiling.
I will post internal dimensions and boil speed with the pics tonight or tomorrow, depends how much 7 sheds cider I drink while doing this batch :chug: .

Ok, so 26.3 liters of hot tap water (60+/-2 deg) got to a good rolling boil in approximately an hour, I dont have anything else to compare this to, but I am guessing this is slow.

I added 3kg coopers light LME and 500g dex and it was boiling again in 10 minutes, with a good roll in 15 or so.

I forgot to count the 2.2 liters of LME in the total boil volume so I am going to boil for 90 minutes not 60 to try to bring the total volume down.

The tap had a slight leak in it, 1 drop every 30 secs or so, but I tightened the top of the tap and once the water was boiling, the leak stopped.

Took photos which I will post on Monday as my phone USB cable is at work.

I also have a video of the boil, I hope I am able to post it and get your feedback on what I think is a rolling boil.

Could you also post the internal dimensions? We'll need to know what sort of bucket we can fit in there ;)

Hi Cbet, ID are 285mm wide and 430mm deep, give or take a few mm.

Pics to come tomorrow.

Thanks Amber, how would one attach it? The faucet on this urn seems to be molded plastic with a cap that holds the tap in.

Here are the pics I said I would post of the urn.

Front
image002.jpg

Controls
image003.jpg

Tap
image005.jpg

Inside
image010.jpg

26.3 Liters of water
image001.jpg

I hope these give you enough info, just ask and I can take more.

Ok, so 26.3 liters of hot tap water (60+/-2 deg) got to a good rolling boil in approximately an hour, I dont have anything else to compare this to, but I am guessing this is slow.

I added 3kg coopers light LME and 500g dex and it was boiling again in 10 minutes, with a good roll in 15 or so.

I forgot to count the 2.2 liters of LME in the total boil volume so I am going to boil for 90 minutes not 60 to try to bring the total volume down.

The tap had a slight leak in it, 1 drop every 30 secs or so, but I tightened the top of the tap and once the water was boiling, the leak stopped.

Took photos which I will post on Monday as my phone USB cable is at work.

I also have a video of the boil, I hope I am able to post it and get your feedback on what I think is a rolling boil.

Dante,

look into lagging / insulating your urn. It will get to a boil quicker.
How much quicker I am not sure, but certainly quicker.

Cheers,
D80

It looks like it's already double walled, I wonder how hot the outside wall gets? If it's hot to the touch then permanent lagging could be the go.

The walls do get very hot, I will look into lagging, thanks guys.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm guessing it's not really 35L then? From the last photo, it looks like filled to the brim would be less than 30L.

True that, I bet if the element wasn't concealed it would hold 35L, dodgy for sure, but it worked ok.

This batch (my first non K&K) smells fantastic through the airlock, really fruity, I assume this is from the Cascade added at 2 mins for aroma, I cant wait to taste it.

My grain bag is on the way and I think I may drive to Hobart in the next week or 2 to get some base grain from THBS, really excited to do my 1st AG.

True that, I bet if the element wasn't concealed it would hold 35L, dodgy for sure, but it worked ok.

That is pretty dodgy. My mate bought one of these to replace his 30L urn that he found slightly too small for doing double batches on his 3V system. He's going to be disappointed by the sounds of it.

Yes, you definitely can for BIAB. The question is whether or not you have to use maxi-biab methods.

My grain bag is on the way and I think I may drive to Hobart in the next week or 2 to get some base grain from THBS, really excited to do my 1st AG.

Talk to Paul (ITMechanic) as he maybe organising another bulk buy soon and he is from around your area. It might save you the trip down here and you'll get better prices from Paul.

Back