Cheap Sight Gauge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marky_mark

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the $5.95 clear plastic racking canes that Grain & Grape sell are suitable material for a sight gauge on a kettle? It is really stiff material and beautifully clear... not sure however on its thermal properties... melting temp, glass transition temp... and whether or not its food grade at 100C. If anyone has any further knowledge on the subject that'd be great. Thanks guys

Cheers,

Mark

Sorry man, I have no answer, but I have a question... <_<

Can you post a link to the canes you are talking about?

All I can find on the site is SS ones :huh:

PZ.

Yeah thats what i thought too, till I ventured down to their new place a few days ago. It was just there on the shelf next to the ss ones... had plenty of them, guess they never bothered to put em on the web site.

Cheers,

Mark

marky_mark said:
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the $5.95 clear plastic racking canes that Grain & Grape sell are suitable material for a sight gauge on a kettle?

[post="108337"][/post]​

Nup, it doesn't. :( I've put one of those canes in boiling water to rinse off some sanitizer and it buckled and distorted. I wouldn't recommend it.

You need to get polycarbonate IIRC.

Warren -

I use polycarb as a sight guage, but you're going to need to support it (the heat will make it sag, but will not cause it to melt as such).

The way I've fixed this is to enclose the tube in a length of copper with two grooves cut into it (front and back).

So far that's worked a treat.

Andy

Back