Blichmann ThruMometer - DIY inline temp gauge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Runk

Reaction score
Taught i'd share as i searched and didn't see anyone else do it -

the Blichmann ThruMometer is basically a tube that measures the temp of the wort as it passes through it.

The most simple DIY thing i have done to date and perhaps the most useful.

get a bit of 1/2 inch (12mm) copper pipe (actually conducts heat better than aluminium which blichmann use) roughly 200mm long. Your friendly plumber will give it to you and standard 12mm hose fits straight to it.

Buy a stick on temp gauge that you use on plastic fv's. ($3)

stick the temp gauge to the copper and then wrap with clear sticky tape to secure forever.

connect to the out hose of your plate chiller etc. and monitor the temp of your wort and control flows to get it right every time.

2013-10-09 20.49.27.jpg

you can see i have fitted a gas valve to the end of mine.
after boil is reached i dump a few liters through my plate chiller and lines and turn it off at that point to sanitize everything and keep it sanitary to that point. Also spray outside with sanitizer afterward.

when it's time to fill the fermenter i open the tap and watch the temp and control the hose water and wort flow to get the temp i want.

the only issue is after having 100c wort pass through it the numbers on the temp gauge dont show as "bright" as they once did but a decent eye or a torch in dim lighting work out fine.

hope it helps someone.

How accurate are those stick on temp films. I've never used one.

Latest posts

Back