Cheap Hdpe (2) Jerry Cans At The Big Green Shed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrinkingbob

milk is for babies......
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just in case you need one for no chilling etc the big green shed is selling 20 Ltr Jerry cans for $12, they are HDPE (2)/Food grade reduced by $7, BARGAIN!!

Cheers Bob

Hi All,

Just in case you need one for no chilling etc the big green shed is selling 20 Ltr Jerry cans for $12, they are HDPE (2)/Food grade reduced by $7, BARGAIN!!

Cheers Bob

Oh crap - I bought one last week for $15 and another couple of bux for the tap. :angry:

f*ckers!!! i bought 3 at $17. oh well triup down there on the weeekend to pick up another one

Hi All,

Cheers Bob

i bought one sat to give this no chill thing ago.. :beerbang: success(only my 3rd AG)..!!!! for that price im back there sat morn before
brew day for a few more..just waiting for my M/Mill to arrive(hopefullly for the wknd :icon_cheers: )

then i might get real cocky and do a double batch..!!!! :D

Nice one... Need to repace my 17s any way... Good timing

well considering my last one blew out, its time for a purchase me thinks!

Is this Australia wide?

Batz

Will drop into the Lawnton one on the way to work in the morning and let you know if it is in Qld.

Should be. It was mentioned in conversation this morning, as seen on offer at Stafford branch.
Daz

Why do you have taps on your cubes?

Anyway, will be collecting a new four for a fresh batch of black IPA on the weekend!

Cheers OP for the tip!

Why do you have taps on your cubes?

Making a starter from specific wort is one good reason. If you're not concerned about cold break in your brew (and some people aren't) you can ferment in the cube, thereby saving one transfer that exposes the wort to an avenue of infection.

Main reasons I can think of for a tap.

Can also use it as a secondary vessel or primary fermenter in its own right.

Making a starter from specific wort is one good reason. If you're not concerned about cold break in your brew (and some people aren't) you can ferment in the cube, thereby saving one transfer that exposes the wort to an avenue of infection.

Main reasons I can think of for a tap.

Can also use it as a secondary vessel or primary fermenter in its own right.

Good reasons... But you would surely be careful around a tap hangin out just after you have filled a cube of 95+ deg. wort? I wouldn't trust the tap to hang in there on it own let alone a slip of a passing foot etc.. anyway, I am sure it does and each to their own.

At $12 a cube, after 4 brews thats $3 added to cost of the batch = still ahead!

Thats if you don't hate no-chill....

Carry on.

All my cubes have a tap and I've never had a leak in my no chills. Done a few now. Trust it more than I trust most of my fermenters to give me a hydrometer sample's worth without falling out.

I live on the edge though.

One good thing about fitting a tap to the cube... You can drill the hole exactly the size you want and have a rudimentary built in flow restrictor/sediment reducer that you won't forget to put on B)

+ don't need to frekkin siphon out of the cube to the fermenter, just stick a short piece of hose and let I splash :)

Third is, can rack into it and use as a bottling bucket/secondary. Cuts down on trub and sediment again. Multiple uses from one thing so cheaper too. Also is easier to stack ice packs etc around as it has flat sides, i.e. If used as a fermenter.

I have to mention at this stage testing the cubes on buying them with the ole' kneel on test!

Mants, its not about the leaks for me its about the tap hanging out where I can bump it with my passing foot, and if at 80+ deg. then it would surely pull out easier is all, also, the inside crevasse would be a nice little home for baddies while your cube sits dormant in between brews..

But I wouldn't fit a tap to my cube due to having to walk past them in a refined area... and not even I know where I will step next, most the time!

HA!

Anyway, still off to get some more from the OP's tip... just won't be fitting taps!

One good thing about fitting a tap to the cube... You can drill the hole exactly the size you want and have a rudimentary built in flow restrictor/sediment reducer that you won't forget to put on B) A place for germs to grow.

+ don't need to frekkin siphon out of the cube to the fermenter, just stick a short piece of hose and let I splash :) I tip into my fermenter - great aeration

Third is, can rack into it and use as a bottling bucket/secondary. Keg and filter so no biggy.. Cuts down on trub and sediment again. Multiple uses from one thing so cheaper too. Also is easier to stack ice packs etc around as it has flat sides, i.e. If used as a fermenter.

But over all, sounds like fitting a tap has its calling, just not for me.

2c.

Latest posts

Back