Cheap Digital 'thrumometer'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone that has a standard coopper coil wort chiller, its bleedin' *obvious* why you *need* two - one on the in water, one on the out water - when they read the same, the chilling is done. Saves having to bend down and read the boiler thermometer ;)

Now i just have to go to Jaycar and hope they still have some!

M

Thanks Trev I was going out to Taren Point to get one of those!!!
Did they say if they were getting any more in?

Cheers
BS

Beer Slayer

Didn't ask - just grabbed what was there.

MoOBrien - yes it was beedin' obvious, which is why I got 2!!!!!. If they had more I would have grabbed them for the team before some unknowing but misguided fool tried to use them on a shower :p

BTW - I actually connected them to the shower just to see how they worked. Not real well actually as the depth of the thread is a bit small and they don't screw up tightly onto the fitting. I guess I'd better use them on the CFC (when I make one :( )

Trev

Ordered one last week.. probably Tuesday delivery.(NOWRA)
Dunno what i am going to do with it..
Cheers.
PJ

Mine are installed.
I've put one on the inlet of my CFWC and the other on the inlet of my inline aeration unit.
First run through will be Monday :p

Beers,
Doc

InlineTempGauges_004__Large_.jpg

InlineTempGauges_006__Large_.jpg

Looks good - fingers crossed they do the job. Still waiting on some other gear before I can start using mine.....

My went into service today. Well one of them went into service.
I sterilise my entire post kettle assembly (pump, cfwc, inline aeration + new digi temp gauge) overnight with caustic.
Post flushing and putting down in front of the kettle it is in three pieces. Not sure if overtightening or the caustic is the cause.
Anyho, I'm now down to one. I hadn't calibrated it either to see if it was on the mark. It seems as though it is a degree or two high.

So use caution, and if anyone needs some internals for one you know where you can find them :p

Doc

Well I christened one of mine yesterday and gave it a good run of 100decC water for about 10mins :eek: It did read afterwards but I think it is a bit suss.

Anyway I think it still works but time will tell. Lucky I bought two :p

Ok so overtightning, caustic sanitisers and boiling water have maybe contributed to deaths of these 'thrumometers'.

Thankyou Doc and JasonY for sacrificing yours for the greater good. Anyone else willing to share their experiences? I'd love to but I only bought one!! B)

i thought the range was only 0-50'c ie not suitable for boiling water ?

Doc said:
My went into service today. Well one of them went into service.
I sterilise my entire post kettle assembly (pump, cfwc, inline aeration + new digi temp gauge) overnight with caustic.
Post flushing and putting down in front of the kettle it is in three pieces. Not sure if overtightening or the caustic is the cause.
Anyho, I'm now down to one. I hadn't calibrated it either to see if it was on the mark. It seems as though it is a degree or two high.

So use caution, and if anyone needs some internals for one you know where you can find them :p

Doc
[post="104237"][/post]​

And then there was none.
Brewing today, so cleaning and sterlising last night.
The last of my 'thrumometers' sprung a leak. My wife now has the cleanest washing machine and laundry floor after a caustic wash.
I had been meaning to go back to my sundial, just had to have my hand forced last night.
So either I'm a rough *******, or they just are Doctors Orders brewing grade :p

Doc

Mine is still going after 5 brews!

It looks as though it was built on a humid day in asia, it fogs up when it gets cold.

Mine is okay after 3 brews. It overtightens very easily, even when hand tight. I keep mine stored in the box it came (is that anal ?) and spray with sanitiser just before I hook it up to the bottom dump on the conical. When it's done its job it gets a toothbrush clean with warm water and detergent.

Regards, John :D

Mine are still sitting there unused in their boxes like a couple of white elephants. :lol:

Warren -

just ordered 2 off there website got to have some flash toys

Latest posts

Back