change of plans and yeast starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
Last night I did a 2l starter of 2 week after best before date wlp0007. Was planning on brewing on Friday but now have to do it tomorrow. Just checked it now and krausen just starting. Thing is I'm doing a split batch 10l each so don't really want a whole litre going into each one. I was planning on crashing the starter,pouring off the beer and pitching half the slurry in each batch but won't have time for that now. Looking for advice on what to do. I have back up dry yeast but am keen to try 007 with These beers.

Why not split it and pitch the other in a few days when you are ready? Few days is not a big deal teally

Sorry I probably wasn't clear. My concern is that since I'll be doing 10l batches I don't want to dilute it with a litre of a yeast starter. Ideally I'd crash the starter and pour off the beer and pitch the slurry but since i probably wint have time to crash the yeast it will still be suspended in 2l of dme wort.

If you put the starter in the fridge now. (Well last night would have been even better) and let it sit until your ready to brew it should drop enough yeast out of suspension. Then pour off the beer let it warm back up to room temp and pitch half of it in each fermenter.

It may not drop solid like a 3-4 day @ 3C crash would give it, but your not going to lose that much yeast still in suspension. Even if you just pour off most of the beer your only going to end up with 500mls or less of actual beer which shouldnt effect your batch all that much.

I think your options are limited.
1. Pitch 1l of starter into each batch
2. Crash chill now, which may not work well because the starter isn't finished.
I'd just go option 1. It's not unheard of to pitch 2l into a 23l batch. Assuming you're using LDM, as long as it's a pale beer I can't see it having too much of an impact (if any).
I put nearly 2l into a lager 2 months back and considering how good it tastes, I'm not afraid of doing it again.

Latest posts

Back