Celli Tap Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed two Cellis into the side of the fridge this today. I did as some one else did and used a 1/2" hole saw and cut a bit of conduit to slide over the shank. This makes for a very snug fit and its all very rigid.

Unfortunately with two of the kegs in the fridge all I can get out of the taps is foam. They pour without a problem from my pluto gun. They are highly carbonated. So I've been shaking one and releasing the pressure to try and get it right for christmas. The other one is crystal clear and I don't want to stir up the yeast.

Another keg has a porter which is near to flat. This pours ok but still has some foaming. I've played with the flow control to no avail.

I wonder if I'm missing something?

Damn they look good.

Scott
I've connected one Celli and have done a little experimenting in the time I've had it.
Me and a mate gave it a good run one night and it worked very well. I've since found that often the first pour of the day is foamy, mind you I have it setup with the shank outside the door, and after that it's ok. But if I come back in half an hour it's foamy again.
One night I cracked the shits and put the Ultraflow tap back on, using the same plastic John Guest fittings, but connecting 3 meters of beer line back on, since the Ultraflow does not have a flow regulator.
Guess what, all foam.
The same Ultraflow pours perfect using the old style shanks and stainless connections. I may be way off track here but it leads me to think that the connection might be a problem. I'd be interested to hear from others who are using the JG connections and have the shank outside the fridge.
My plan now is to not use the shank at all and use the old style stainless connections straight onto the taps shank. We'll see how that goes.

Scott I have not connected mine yet but I am not an expert to this kegging all I know is sometimes the Pluto pours perfectly sometimes it is crap

going back to the Cellis this link has some good points

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=13195&hl=
Pumpy :)

Thanks for the reference Pumpy. There's some good info there. I'll try Jeddog's trick in the mean time and I'll try and get the carbonation right for this system in future. I'm force carbonating a keg now, I'll be sure to err on the underdone side. Unfortunately my regulators guage units are litres per minute. You can't complain when you get it for nothing.

Cheers
Scott

The same Ultraflow pours perfect using the old style shanks and stainless connections. I may be way off track here but it leads me to think that the connection might be a problem. I'd be interested to hear from others who are using the JG connections and have the shank outside the fridge.
My plan now is to not use the shank at all and use the old style stainless connections straight onto the taps shank. We'll see how that goes.

It's an interesting theory Thunderlips. For the record that is the setup I have. The shanks and the john guest fittings. Again, I'm able to pour from one keg with this setup without much of a problem. However, that beer, a porter, is nearly flat.

regards
Scott

Thunderlips,

I have a celli set up on my outside keg holding fridge for pouring my takeaway bottles, i've been using this for a couple of months. This has the shank & JG fittings & pours perfectly, yes the first bit of the first pour is foamy as the tap cools, then it's fine - I always like to flush the first bit anyway on any tap I use. Definately the best way to mount these would be without through fridge shank as it reduces the amount of metal on the outside of the fridge to cool down (plus looks nicer IMO) & the minimum number of connections behind it to mimimise turbulance. Setting the CO2 pressure lower than the carbonation level of the beer being dispensed will cause problems, the system needs to be balanced, or failing that, increase the CO2 pressure above the carbonation level of the beer & use the flow restrictor to set the pour.

hope this makes sense...

cheers Ross

Pumpy...... i am only a couple of hour drive out now mate.

Just west of Newcastle.

cheers

Good news. I got on top of the foaming problems and have had both Celli taps working over time all day and last night. They've both impressed and caused a bit of envy :lol:

Scott

Good news. I got on top of the foaming problems and have had both Celli taps working over time all day and last night. They've both impressed and caused a bit of envy :lol:

Scott

Well Scott tell us how you did it :blink:

Oh no :(
You have a foaming problem with the Xmas taps Pumpy?

Batz

Batz,

I seem to remember a bit of foaming drama with the initial Ventamatics .

I usually do the Ross method of carbonation, but had carbonated a couple of kegs for a couple of days at 300 KPA and even with the Pluto gun I was having to let them stand to let the head go down , I have another batch ready to go into one keg .which I will carbonate my normal way ,so I am not panicking yet ( there is a couple of evenings serious drinking left in the kegs .

Although there is a plastics washer seal inside the shank it did not work and filled my fridge door up with a couple pints of beer now dribbling out the corner of the fridge and smelling a touch oxidised , with have to use a few rounds of the teflon tape .

At the moment they are with a bit of Holly and a few berries around them they are not much more that an expensive Christmas fridge decoration .

I have not given up yet as I dont think it is the taps fault as I could not pour these particular batches of beer with the Pluto.

Sod it I have enough beer this Christmas and going onto the Cab Sav .

Bah Humbug !

Pumpy :D

Bugger about the leak

I would have thought that over carbed beer could be poured ok with the celli flow restrictor.
I'll be keen to hear your reports

Batz

Pumpy

Bit of plumber's tape will fix the leaking problem. ;) Just installed mine and love the look of them. Must confess that the foaming thing is happening with mine I'm pretty sure a bit of trial and error will work.

From what I can gather the shortened beer line seems to be part of the problem. I've got 1 metre of 8mm OD beer line and the beer seems to literally rush out. I can also hear some form of turbulence with the pour. Other than that they're great and look the goods.

I might try using them with the line at the normal 2.4 metre length.

Warren -

Must confess that the foaming thing is happening the beer seems to literally rush out. I can also hear some form of turbulence with the pour. Other than that they're great and look the goods.

Warren -

Seems Celli's need a bit of experimenting with <_<
I think I'll stick to Shirron's for now.

Batz

Pumpy

Bit of plumber's tape will fix the leaking problem. ;) Just installed mine and love the look of them. Must confess that the foaming thing is happening with mine I'm pretty sure a bit of trial and error will work.

From what I can gather the shortened beer line seems to be part of the problem. I've got 1 metre of 8mm OD beer line and the beer seems to literally rush out. I can also hear some form of turbulence with the pour. Other than that they're great and look the goods.

I might try using them with the line at the normal 2.4 metre length.

Warren -

Warren ,

I have emptied a keg into a bucket and in the process of drinking :party: it sabout five pints ,so I can put in a fresh batch which I will carbonate my usual way.

and see how that works out , my lines are about one metre long of 8mm

Batz

I reckon they're like anything new. We're all getting them as Xmas presents and busting our nuts to get them up and running like little kids. :lol:

Mine are great. Only problem is user error. I'm using them like a bull at a gate. I'm using the remainders of a keg of hefeweizen (should please you Batz :p ). Beer is probably a little overcarbed.

Totally love the look and pouring action of them. Make no mistake once they're balanced they'll be worth their weight in gold. :rolleyes:

Warren -

I didnt get a celli for xmas :angry:
Come to think of it i got absolutely zip beer presents.

Vents are dry
Big D

I didnt get a celli for xmas :angry:
Come to think of it i got absolutely zip beer presents.

Vents are dry
Big D

I bet things will be cranking next Xmas Dave :party: :beer:

Batz

I have spent a good day on preparing for this second go

I carbonated the beer as per

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...hl=keg+pressure

and the Celli taps pour perfectly ,

No worries !

I am dispensing at about 60 kpi think it would go higher

The beer is Warrens 'On your bike bitter '

I am wrapped

Style can come along with good pouring !!!!

Pumpy :D

I didn't report how I'd fixed my foaming problems because I had only followed the advice in the thread.

With one keg that was only slightly over carbonated I just opened the relief valve and let it sit in the fridge over night.

The other keg I had deliberately gassed high but I'd gone a bit too far. I could pour from it with the pluto but I had to be careful. I took it out of the fridge and onto the lawn. I shook it and released the gas, repeat, repeat, ... I lost a little bit of beer through the relief valve doing this but not too much. I then let it sit in the fridge overnight with the valve open. Now it's undercarbonated :lol:

I had another keg that I carbonated about right and didn't have any problems pouring. I have swapped back to using head master glasses now. I'm going to have to knock back the level to which I normally carbonate to.

I haven't used any plumbing tape in my assembly and I'm not getting any leaks. I used a spanner to tighten the john guest fitting onto the shank.

I love those john guest fittings. Yesterday I took a couple of kegs to my sister's place. I didn't want to stir up the yeast cake in one of 'em so I disconnected a line into the back of a celli and connected it into a liquid out QD. I now had a keg to keg transfer hose. I gassed both kegs to serving pressure then disconnected the gas from the empty keg. I used the relief valve in the empty keg to control the fill. Worked really well.

All the best.
Scott

I didn't report how I'd fixed my foaming problems because I had only followed the advice in the thread.

With one keg that was only slightly over carbonated I just opened the relief valve and let it sit in the fridge over night.

The other keg I had deliberately gassed high but I'd gone a bit too far. I could pour from it with the pluto but I had to be careful. I took it out of the fridge and onto the lawn. I shook it and released the gas, repeat, repeat, ... I lost a little bit of beer through the relief valve doing this but not too much. I then let it sit in the fridge overnight with the valve open. Now it's undercarbonated :lol:

I had another keg that I carbonated about right and didn't have any problems pouring. I have swapped back to using head master glasses now. I'm going to have to knock back the level to which I normally carbonate to.

I haven't used any plumbing tape in my assembly and I'm not getting any leaks. I used a spanner to tighten the john guest fitting onto the shank.

I love those john guest fittings. Yesterday I took a couple of kegs to my sister's place. I didn't want to stir up the yeast cake in one of 'em so I disconnected a line into the back of a celli and connected it into a liquid out QD. I now had a keg to keg transfer hose. I gassed both kegs to serving pressure then disconnected the gas from the empty keg. I used the relief valve in the empty keg to control the fill. Worked really well.

All the best.
Scott

Well done Scott did you mount your shanks inside the fridge or protruding outside .

Back