Celli Tap Install

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnw

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a F&P fridge to install my Celli taps on and am having a bit of trouble about how to go about it. The fridge door is about 5cm thick and i would like to know if anyone had any idea about how to mount these taps. the back of the fridge door is plastic and doesnt seem to strong.

i was going to put a 20mm hole in the front of the fridge door and then the same on the other side through the plastic and insulation. If i do this will i bugger up the front of the fridge when i pour a beer, as in will i bend the door's front skin out of shape?

Another idea i had was to insert a piece of pine behind the skin (after removing the insulation that matches the pine's shape) to re-enforce the area as i was looking to add two more taps in the future. this way is would apply the perssure over a greater surface area.

i dont have the fridge shank and was hoping to avoid getting it.

Thanks

Drinkbeer

Here you go, this should cover your issue hopefully! Linky

I am also planning a timber piece over the front to give a little more room plus stiffen the tap up more - but I dont find it an issue even though its only attached to a thin piece of sheet metal on the fridge door.

i was going to put a 20mm hole in the front of the fridge door and then the same on the other side through the plastic and insulation. If i do this will i bugger up the front of the fridge when i pour a beer, as in will i bend the door's front skin out of shape?

Another idea i had was to insert a piece of pine behind the skin (after removing the insulation that matches the pine's shape) to re-enforce the area as i was looking to add two more taps in the future. this way is would apply the perssure over a greater surface area.
I have Alumasc taps that only have a 20mm long threaded section like the Celli's a backing plate behind the front skin is the way to go as it will stiffen the front skin of the fridge door. You will have to hack a bigger hole on the inside though so you can tighten up the locknut and also attach the hose adapter.

So the frige door sking handle the taps ok without a backing plate/wood insert? as i want to put two more on there in the future it may be easier to get the re-enforcement out of the way now.

Has anyone attempted to reinsulate the door after they cut out the section for the backing plate?

DrinkBeer

My slightly older fridge does not deflect much at all when a beer is poured.

Multiple taps wont make any significant difference as you are only ever pouring from one at a time.

(I am planning a timber piece for the outside of the skin to also fix my drip tray to eventually).

The insulation can be reinstated if removed carefully, however you could get away with expanding filler or foam packaging of some kind I would imagine.

You can always add a large backing plate when taps 2 & 3 are due to be installed if you dont like the flexing of the tap on the door skin alone. But I honestly dont think you will have an issue, mine moved maybe 2mm max when pouring, hardly noticable - but when I went to install mine, I had similar thoughts of huge deflection issues... but they did not occur.

2c.

Ive read that some have used some PVC pipe to put through the hole(same thickness as fridge door etc) and then put the Shank through that and tightened it up from there, the PVC acts as a sturdy support.. ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

Ive read that some have used some PVC pipe to put through the hole(same thickness as fridge door etc) and then put the Shank through that and tightened it up from there, the PVC acts as a sturdy support.. ;)

:icon_cheers: CB
Have you looked at a Celli tap recently? they only have a short ~20mm long threaded shank on the back of the tap which is the original posters concern. He has said he doesnt want to buy the long shanks to go all the way through the door.

I think ill got the way of the backing plate. spread the tension over a greater surface area.

You may find that your fridge door is filled with medium density 2 pak foam, if it is then it may well be adhered to the outer door skin. If this is so then the link that Raven sent you will work fine.

Back