Celis And Other Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sav

Brewing at the battered's shed
Reaction score
I just got a celli of Ross and what a nice piece of kit,italy say no more,I am thinking cant I put a short length of beer line and run a in line ball valve to slow the pour instead of having 3 metres of the sh#$,
On my old swing tap,isnt it the same thing that a celi does or would it create pressure behind the tap.

The celi is a must for people have a keg system I connected it up slowed the flow a bit and perfect,a balanced system is a must anyhow.

cheers sav

I just got a celli of Ross and what a nice piece of kit,italy say no more,I am thinking cant I put a short length of beer line and run a in line ball valve to slow the pour instead of having 3 metres of the sh#$,
On my old swing tap,isnt it the same thing that a celi does or would it create pressure behind the tap.

The celi is a must for people have a keg system I connected it up slowed the flow a bit and perfect,a balanced system is a must anyhow.

cheers sav

Don't all the Celli's have flow regulators?

not the celi the swing tap or brumby

If you look at the flow restriction mechanism inside the Celli, which you'll do the first time you pull it apart for cleaning, you'll see that it's a pretty nice piece of kit. My feeling is that a ball valve would add a load of turbulence and froth the beer like crazy.

If you look at the flow restriction mechanism inside the Celli, which you'll do the first time you pull it apart for cleaning, you'll see that it's a pretty nice piece of kit. My feeling is that a ball valve would add a load of turbulence and froth the beer like crazy.

Thanks I thought there would more to this tap than just cutting the flow

Flow restriction is achieved either by increasing the length of your beer line, a tap such as a Celli with inbuilt restrictors or one of these inline flow restrictors

There have been varying degrees of success with them, you can see piccy's of them in Doc's photo gallery as well as a brief comment on them in this thread :)
Cheers
Doug

Just use the flow reg on the side of the tap and have the shortest amount of beer line possible between the tap and keg.

Just use the flow reg on the side of the tap and have the shortest amount of beer line possible between the tap and keg.

Yeah, if you read the post carefully (seriously here, not taking the pi$$, I thought the same thing) you'll notice that after stumbling through some misleading punctuation the OP is actually asking if they can put a ball valve behind a swing tap to have a similar effect as the restrictor on the celli.

Id love to get some to get rid of the beerline in my fridge.
If the ball valve works, itd be a cheap option for me.

Are these Celli taps good for higher carbed beers or just stouts and bitters etc?
The craftbrewer site says Perfect for stouts & low carbonated beers.

Cheers,
Al

Are these Celli taps good for higher carbed beers

They can be a little feisty at higher serving pressures. The trick is keeping it all balanced. Carb and pour at the same pressure.

Warren -

The Celli's flow control mechanism is a conical shaped 'plunger' which is shaped to ensure even flow, less aeration and agitation of beer (I think!). A ball valve wouldn't suffice, as the fluid would swirl and agitate far too much (AFAIK). Might be interesting to check though?

Cheers - Mike

Id love to get some to get rid of the beerline in my fridge.
If the ball valve works, itd be a cheap option for me.

Are these Celli taps good for higher carbed beers or just stouts and bitters etc?
The craftbrewer site says Perfect for stouts & low carbonated beers.

Cheers,
Al

I would wager this is referring to being able to serve low-carbonated beers with a head; the Celli also has a "sparkler" if you push the tap backwards.

Seriously how hard is it having a bit of line coiled up that sits on top of the keg?

Yeah, but my line fills up with gas when it hasn't been used for a little while and causes the first bit to froth up massivly. Should probably address the cause of that.

Gas building up in the line can be caused by not enough pressure, or your beer is carbonated higher than the pressure that you are pouring at.

Back