Catalyst ABC tonight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moad said:
They say Brett isn't used... Whaaaaa
Did you read the article?

The brewer's yeast brettanomyces was found. It is not used in modern commercial brewing, but was used everywhere in old-style brewing.
It is a shame they only brewed using a coppers tin...wonder if they had temp control?

Not used in modern commercial brewing... The next line down. I guess it depends what you call commercial brewing.

To answer your question, yes I read the article.

Was also dissapointed they made an extract beer, they should analysed the malt and hop composition if possible.

Moad said:
Not used in modern commercial brewing... The next line down. I guess it depends what you call commercial brewing.
Noted, the incomplete sentence in your OP made it read as though brett wasn't used in this recreated beer.

I guess to them commercial means megaswill.

They isolated 5 or 6 strains of yeast from the bottle. One was Saccharomyces and the rest were Brettanomyces. The managed to revive the Saccharomyces and brew a beer with it. I'm not sure whether they brewed with any of the Brett strains.

Question: Was it always this type of yeast or is this just a product of stress factors causing the yeast to be like Trappist yeast?

goomboogo said:
They isolated 5 or 6 strains of yeast from the bottle. One was Saccharomyces and the rest were Brettanomyces. The managed to revive the Saccharomyces and brew a beer with it. I'm not sure whether they brewed with any of the Brett strains.
I heard on on the radio this arvo it was champagnish, so yes.

Diving and homebrew, my two favourite activities.

can of malt and one or two other items made in a shed and the beer comes bottled after 4 weeks

DU99 said:
can of malt and one or two other items made in a shed and the beer comes bottled after 4 weeks
being Tasmania, you could almost excuse the lack of temp control ;)

Latest posts

Back