Castle Hill Show Competition 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best of luck to all the entrants, and good on Stu & the volunteers for running what is always a well-organised comp.

I forgot to get my entries in for this one :rolleyes:

well judgings all done and dusted.
good work to stu to get 190 entries all judged in just under a day and a half.
look forward to the results.

Here you go. :)

Congratulations to all the winners and placers as well as to BOS brewer, Luke Perry Gore, and Champion Brewer, Michael Wallace (just pipping Barry Cranston there).

Fantastic job by the judges and stewards. Done by lunchtime today. :super:

View attachment Castle_Hill_Comp_Results_2012.pdf

1st place and a HC! WOOOOO!!!!! :p
Cheers guys! I like the breakdown of the judges scores.
Great work getting it all done so quickly.

Beer of show!!! I knew I did a good job with the black IPA but I didn't expect to get beer of show!!!

Thanks for organising everything stu and thanks to all the judges. Wish I hadn't been so busy this weekend, would have come down.

First of all well done to the winners placegetters.

Well done to the hard work the organisers put in, Judges, Stewards, Sponsors, Volunteers, Families putting up with people being away.

Now, just a silly question....

Why didn't this and the NSW State Comp combine?

Fear_n_loath

Because this completion is at a fixed location and time (i.e. The Castle Hill Show) if this and the state comp were combined no one else in any other region would get the chance to run the state comp.
There are real benefits to having as many different regions, organisers and judges involved as possible; for one, it helps to develop a pool of people with experience in organising and running competitions.
I think one of the lessons learned by the local organisers (HUB) this year was not to hold two competitions so close together, it is difficult for experienced judges to get to both events, the state comp this year could really have used some more judges. A lot of locals stepped up to stewarded or sat as second judge to more experienced judges so next time there will be a more people with some experience, hopefully some of those will be inspired to go and do the BJCP training.
Mark

Comments made as an outside observer not one of the organisers.
M

Thanks to Stu and everyone involved. My English Best Bitter got a second place which was very unexpected.
This was brewed kit and kilo and honestly I just entered to get some feedback!! To get the place however has given me great confidence in that I'm doing something right!!

Cheers Matt

i thought one of the lessons the hub boys learnt was to announce it more than a month before and then expect people to drop everything and come and support it when they already have their lives planned.
also i might point out that full results have yet to be released for the state comp where as this one already has been.
maybe its time for the state comp to come back to the state major city rather than a regional area????

any way congrats black labb and petesbrew well done on the entries

A big thankyou to Stu & the organisers, the Judges & stewards. Nice work in getting the results up so fast too!

A big congratulations to all the winners & placers, & many thanks to the sponsors as well. Great prizes are just
the icing on the cake for a well run comp like this, as far as i'm concerned.

Happy to donate a few cubes worth of quality wort your way to do with as you see fit, either for yourself or the judges/stewards,
or to include as 'bonus/consolation' prizes or something. Maybe some of the winning Mild Ale plus something else.
I wasn't able to help with any of this years comps, so happy if a few cubes can say thanks for a top effort in running them.

Michael.

Because this completion is at a fixed location and time (i.e. The Castle Hill Show) if this and the state comp were combined no one else in any other region would get the chance to run the state comp.
M

Hi Mark, minor correction: the Show is actually held in March, however the beer comp portion is run in september to keep out of the way of the judging of other sections as well as fall into the brew comp season.

I know Stu offered to host the states in conjunction with the Castlehill comp this year, but didn't get an answer for some time.

I agree with Barls's comment about short notice being given for the states this year.

The time and effort to organise and run a comp is huge. Bigups to Stu for his excellent organisation again. :beerbang:

Hopefully some of you will be happy to share your recipes - I tasted some fantastic beers on Saturday and I will shamelessly copy you if you let me ;)

Thanks to Stu for organising.

A couple of judges hard at work

hills_shire_times_article.jpg

i dont know the bloke on the left looks dodgy.

yeah well we cant help that. thats part of the reason i have a beard.

any way good work to stu, got my sheets already, which is more than i can say for the states.

lets all push for a return of the states to the capital city of the state not a regional area.

lets all push for a return of the states to the capital city of the state not a regional area.

I think Mark has a good point above about having comps in regional areas, to increase the pool of judging & steward experience, and more exposure might get others interested in sitting the BJCP exam. There would be no issue if there was an official State Leader who presides over the operations, regardless of venue/club doing the hosting. That way efficiency is maintained, aspects such as sponsor prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, BOS, and Champion placeholders are negotiated (yes, prizes, as almost every comp organises), plenty of notice is given to rally the troops who may need to travel, subsidised lodgings are offered for intercity volunterrs, and results are collated in an efficient manner.

Standardised reform is the key to a successful future. :icon_cheers:

Apologies for the size of the attachment. I'll try and upload a better one later.

Latest posts

Back