Castle Hill Show Brewing Competition 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Castle Hill (where the f*%k is Castle Hill ? - just near Batemans Bay is it ? )
:eek: Fatz you will be well of the mark if you go to Batemans Bay!!! I hope you are joking
Castle Hill is in Sydney.

You'll keep :ph34r:

I don't know, I tend to go a bit woofey as the weather warms up :lol:

.........I know where you live :D

I've got a motorbike these days.... you won't be able to catch me!!!!!

Just realised I'm on way back home after being at the Qld Case Swap the previous week,

You'll have done what B&T, QLD Case and god knows what else. Your palate should be well and truely sozzled by then!!!!! Perfect for judging :D

You'll have done what B&T, QLD Case and god knows what else. Your palate should be well and truely sozzled by then!!!!! Perfect for judging :D

Yes, an early Xmas holiday. Three great consecutive weekends - may have to have alcohol free mid weeks !

Might even enter a brew in the CHS - my classic rauchbeer qualified via the ACT champs for the Nationals - not many bottles left but might put one in your show. I'll judge the pale ales - no dubbels, trippels or strong ales ! Where can I park and sleep ?

Bump.

Would any judges/stewards who are interested please contact me to let me know if you're interested. Either by PM or email to stusterbrewer at gmail.com

Just a query, but being very new to this comp thingy I am wondering about a chocolate stout I have made with actual chocolate in the brew. It is in the style of a sweet stout. Do I have a choice to enter it as a sweet stout or a herb/ spice beer or does it HAVE to be entered in as a herb/ spice beer????

That's always a tricky one, Matt. It comes down to how much you can taste the chocolate. Is it obvious, does it make a big difference to the beer? If it does, then I'd enter it as a spice/vegetable beer. If not, then enter it as a sweet stout.

That's always a tricky one, Matt. It comes down to how much you can taste the chocolate. Is it obvious, does it make a big difference to the beer? If it does, then I'd enter it as a spice/vegetable beer. If not, then enter it as a sweet stout.

Thanks Stu, think I will put into the spice/ herb category and time will tell if that was the correct decision....

I too am not sure what category to enter my beer into. It was meant to be a special bitter, but cam out way darker, more like a brown. But on having read the specifications, I am unsure hwere to put it. It does have hop flavour, I would say moderate. It was flavoured with Styrian.

IMO aftr reading the style guidelines, it is too hoppy for an English browns but not enough for an American brown. It is too dark for a Special Bitter and not strong or matly enough for an ESB. Any ideas? Give up and focus on my fruit and wheat beers?

[quote name='O'Henry' post='539363' date='Oct 19 2009, 01:45 PM']I too am not sure what category to enter my beer into. It was meant to be a special bitter, but cam out way darker, more like a brown. But on having read the specifications, I am unsure hwere to put it. It does have hop flavour, I would say moderate. It was flavoured with Styrian.

IMO aftr reading the style guidelines, it is too hoppy for an English browns but not enough for an American brown. It is too dark for a Special Bitter and not strong or matly enough for an ESB. Any ideas? Give up and focus on my fruit and wheat beers?[/quote]

..........old ale.....................?

James

..........old ale.....................?

James

Yesterday I thought no, but now, after reading again it might be okay. But perhaps the hop flavour will be out of place. Need to get a brewer to try this and mull it over with me. Trouble is my local guru (mckenry) is away for a month. I guess I'll have to drink a few more and have the guidelines next to me for comparisson.

Stu: I think that will be it. There is no roast, no chocolate or any other highly roasted malt flavours though. I will be there more for the feedback than anything else. Hoping to have 3. Only have hopes for one of them...

I'll make a ruling. Two entries per category, doesn't matter if both are in the same style. So you'll be fine, MattC. Maximum 16 entries, Barry. :rolleyes:

Thanks Stu, one other question... how will I differentiate between the two APA's on the labelling?

Call them APA1 and APA2. Just make sure you remember which is which otherwise you'll never know which one the judges liked and which one they hated. :lol:

Call them APA1 and APA2. Just make sure you remember which is which otherwise you'll never know which one the judges liked and which one they hated. :lol:

Geez they might hate both yet... :unsure:

Thanks stu ;)

What am I going to do with the other 9 beers? :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back