Castle Hill Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thommo

Reaction score
Castle Hill and Hills District Agricultural Society
Home Brewing Championship 2007
Conducted by the Hills Brewers Guild

Entry Form Here:

The 2007 Home Brewing Championship will be judged over the 4th and 5th of November 2006. The competition has been registered with the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) and will follow the competition, class and style guidelines as laid down by the BJCP. Further information on the BJCP can be found Here

Entries close at 4pm Saturday, October 21, 2006

This years competition will consist of two sections:

Open Section: Beers entered in this section can be made by any method including kit, extract, partial and full mash methods.

Commercial Kit Beers: These beers are those based on commercially available kits. Enhancements such as brewing sugar mixtures, malts and additional hops are permitted. Any form of yeast may be used. However extract, partial and full mash beers are excluded from this category. The judges will exclude any entry which in their opinion does not meet these criteria. Beers made from kits can of course be entered into any of the appropriate open categories.

The two categories for commercial kit beers
K1- Australian Lager
K2- Australian Dark/Old Ale

The Hills Brewers recognises the assistance provided by ANWABS in the formulation of these specifications.

Response from Sponsors has been very encouraging. Please check the link for full details.

If you have any questions not answered by the links you can either send a PM or post your querie here.

Anyone interested in offering their time assiting with judging please feel free to send me a PM.

Happy Brewing.

Brett

Edit:
Fixed Links

Thommo,

great to see this event growing & getting quality sponsors. Good work by all concerned.

I'm considering entering a couple of brews into this event as my 1st competition. I'm curious however as to why the judging is being performed in November this year, but the show isn't on till March.

beers

crozdog

crozdog,

I believe this is running in conjunction with the Castle Hill and Hills District Agricultural Society but not with the Castle Hill Show itself.

There are entries even coming over from Canada and the US for this comp so hopefully it will be a biggen.

I've got to fire up my fermenters very shortly!

Sounds like a great comp, with heaps of great prizes. I was thinking of entering, but I only do k+k. Not sure if they would stand up to the competition, although my Spicy Ghost Draught is tasting very nice indeed, at least i think so. :)

Eric,

there is a section dedicated to Commercial K & K brewed beers.

The overall comp is open to all types of brewing from K&K to All Grain.

G'day Crozdog,

The judging for the competition was brought forward to November to allow people who take advantage of the ambient winter temps to brew lagers, to enter these in the competition whilst they are still at their most "competetive". We also thought that by aligning our competition to be closer to the other comps we might get more people sending their beers that did well in other comps. With the great response we've had from sponsors for this event this idea may have the desired result. Only time will tell.

We look forward to receiving your entries.

Cheers,
Thommo

Eric,

As Sam mentioned there is a dedicated section open only to brewers who use commercial kits. A more detailed outline of the requirements are found in the entry form located at the top of the page. You are also able to compete in any open category with a Commercially produced kit beer.

Don't be afraid of your beer not being up to competition standards. If you look at the results for the Bathurst Show you will notice that quite a few Kit beers performed very well in some of the sections. Don't judge yourself out of the chance to win some of the great prizes on offer from our sponsors.

Although it's nice to win prizes and acclaim from your fellow brewers, one of the often overlooked advantages of competition is the invaluable feedback you can receive from judges on ways to improve your beer. Some people enter sub-standard beers into competitions simply for the helpful feedback and comments.

Cheers,
Thommo

The requirement for two bottles may cut down on interstate entries, but I might enter a beer for NZ, posted from WA. If posting beer from outside of NSW, which is the preferred agent to receive them?

Eric,

As Sam mentioned there is a dedicated section open only to brewers who use commercial kits. A more detailed outline of the requirements are found in the entry form located at the top of the page. You are also able to compete in any open category with a Commercially produced kit beer.

Don't be afraid of your beer not being up to competition standards. If you look at the results for the Bathurst Show you will notice that quite a few Kit beers performed very well in some of the sections. Don't judge yourself out of the chance to win some of the great prizes on offer from our sponsors.

Although it's nice to win prizes and acclaim from your fellow brewers, one of the often overlooked advantages of competition is the invaluable feedback you can receive from judges on ways to improve your beer. Some people enter sub-standard beers into competitions simply for the helpful feedback and comments.

Cheers,
Thommo

Well I guess I may as well give it a go then.
This will only leave me with 7 bottles though, hhmmm, might have to make some more I guess :D .
What category do I enter my draught into then Thommo? And is it $5 per bottle or just a fiver for the entry?
Cheers
Eric :ph34r:

Eric,

The entry fee is $5 for the first entry, $5 for the second entry, and $3 for each entry thereafter. An entry is the style of beer, ie. 2 bottles. eg, If I were to enter five beers in total, amount paid would be $5 + $5 + $3 + $3 + $3 = $19.

I haven't tried the Cascade spicy Draught myself, but you can check the BJCP style guidelines Here. It may fit into one of these categories for the open section.

Of the two Exclusive Kit sections, I'd enter it into the K1 - Australian Lager category.

If someone out there has tried the Cascade Spicy Draught they may be able point you in the right direction for an open category.

Cheers,
Thommo.

I'm in on this one.

I have moved away from the ales I normally brew and I'm having a go at some lagers at the moment. I hope to have a Munich Helles & a Munich Dunkel to enter. I could use some feedback as they are both first attempts at the styles. I recon I may be able to knock up a Bitter, Porter and Stout too.

Heres to happy brewing! :super:

What section would you enter a k&k Aussie Pale Ale into? There's no section that comes close.

Hello Brewers.

Just giving this a bump. Entries for the Castle Hill Homebrew Comp close 21st October 2006. Less than two weeks to go.

Don't forget to get your entries into your nearest (or favourite) homebrew store to be eligible for our fantastic prizes.

Keep the entries coming.

Cheers,
Thommo.

Better get brewing!!!

For those who don't know...

Entry Form can be found Here:
http://hillsbrewersguild.com/announcements...0Nov%202007.pdf

Sponsors and Prizes Include:
Paddys Brewery
Paddys will be providing each category class winner with a quality engraved beer glass. Paddys will present the Winner of Best in Show or Grand Champion Brewer with an engraved display mug.
Winner of Best in Show or Grand Champion Brewer will win a personal Brewing Master Class with Callum Service at Paddys Brewery.
Hunter Beer Company
For the Hills District Champion, the Hunter Beer Company has donated a Brewery package for 2 at their Potters Hotel and Brewery in the Hunter Valley. The package includes a private brewery tour and tasting with Luke their brewer, hot breakfast for 2 and the chance to brew on site with Luke.
In addition, the Hunter Beer Company will present each class winner with a magnum of the Hunter Beer Companys hand crafted Kolsch.

Brewcraft Limited
Brewcraft has donated the following fine brewing concentrates and vodka flavourings for distribution amongst winners and place getters in the Kit Section:
1x Brewcraft Guiness Style Recipe Kit RRP $47.95
1x Brewcraft Hoegaarden Style Recipe Kit RRP $34.60
1x Brewcraft James Squire Amber Ale Style Recipe Kit RRP $39.15
1x Brewcraft Little Creatures Pale Ale Style Recipe Kit RRP $39.15
2x Still Spirits Cafelua Liqueur Packs RRP $11.45 ea
2x Still Spirits Melon Liqueur Packs RRP $11.45 ea
2x Still Spirits White Rum Liqueur Packs RRP $11.45 ea
2x Still Spirits Black Sambuca Liqueur Packs RRP $11.45 ea
2x Still Spirits Irish Cream Liqueur Packs RRP $12.40 ea

Absolute Home Brew
Absolute Home Brewing has donated a 25Kg sack of uncracked Weyermann Vienna Malt grain and a 25 Kg sack of uncracked Weyermann Pilsener Grain, for the winners of their sponsored categories. In the event that the same brewer wins both categories the second bag will be awarded to a second place getter at the judges discretion.
Total value, $140 RRP. Grain variety subject to availability

Country Brewer

Country Brewer will provide a can of X-Tract Concentrate and one of their famous TCB Wet Packs to the winner of their sponsored categories. Total value $114 RRP

Dave Home Brew Daves Home Brew will provide a BrewMaster game to the winners of sponsored categories. Total value $70 RRP

World Beers
World Beers will donate a mixed six pack of imported beer plus a quality beer glass to the winners of their sponsored categories.

when does judging occur?
i have just bottled a beer i would like to enter however i am unsure whether it will have enough time to carb up and be worthy of entering.

Nov 4 and 5, so you have 2/12-3 weeks for carbing, almost just enough (i think i'm putting in one i bottled last week so not far off!)

Ive asked over on the country brewer website and I'm asking here too....

Can someone please define the "Hills District Champion"??,... is it the same as "Winner of Best in Show or Grand Champion Brewer"

..if so theres a wealth of knowledge for the overall winner of this show

For the Hills District Champion, the Hunter Beer Company has donated a Brewery package for 2 at their Potters Hotel and Brewery in the Hunter Valley. The package includes a private brewery tour and tasting with Luke their brewer, hot breakfast for 2 and the chance to brew on site with Luke.

and

Winner of Best in Show or Grand Champion Brewer will win a personal Brewing Master Class with Callum Service at Paddys Brewery

Latest posts

Back