Cascade Golden Harvest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trusty1

Reaction score
G'day brewers

Does anyone know if the yeast that comes with the Cascade Golden Harvest Lager kit is a genuine lager yeast?

I have emailed Cascade my query and they haven't replied. It doesn't let on in the little instructions which come with the kit, what temp to brew at, which would identify if it was or not.

Has anyone brewed this and if so what are yur thoughts?

Thanks

G'day brewers

Does anyone know if the yeast that comes with the Cascade Golden Harvest Lager kit is a genuine lager yeast?

I have emailed Cascade my query and they haven't replied. It doesn't let on in the little instructions which come with the kit, what temp to brew at, which would identify if it was or not.

Has anyone brewed this and if so what are yur thoughts?

Thanks

I don't know but would guess it is an ale yeast. I would recommend getting a packet of Saflager S23 and using that. That way you will know it is a lager yeast.

From Cascade website

Cascade's Bohemian yeast gives a slow, steady fermentation for a clean tasting beer that is well worth the wait!

Brewing yeast is temperature-sensitive, so aim for 19-26C before pitching (adding) the yeast and hold this range over the entire fermentation.

While the site doesn't really say what the yeast is, the temperature suggests that it is an ale yeast. It definitely gives a slow fermentation though, can take a few days to even appear as though its started. As usual recommended temps give a range that goes too high.

Thanks guys,

I got a reply thus from "david":

Thank you for contacting us at Cascade.

To view information on our various different homebrew products, visit our website and click on 'Products' near the top left of the screen. This brings up a page with buttons for the full Cascade range, including homebrew products. The homebrew section also contains a brewer's guide, brewer's calculator and other information. The same yeast is provided with all Cascade homebrew products and this is a traditional Cascade yeast.

Please contact us again if we can assist you with anything further.

Kind Regards,
David
Cascade - Consumer Relations

I replied thanking him for his reply but he hasn't answered my query, but I take it that it isn't a lager yeast and I will go buy a lager yeast from the LHBS (he won't know what LHBS is!), and also commented that the new Cascade website does nothing for HBers! Including the 19-26 temp range only states for the purpose of pitching (adding) the yeast!

Earle, it sounds like you have brewed the golden harvest 'lager', does it end up an OK drinker?

That temp on the website is for pitching and fermentation.

Haven't made the golden wheat. Several years ago I made the spicy ghost draught, bleh. I have also used the choc mahogany porter kit a few times but now prefer a Coopers dark ale or just using spec malts.

The yeast is probably ok for ales but gets a bad wrap due to the lag time in getting going compared to other yeasts. Having said that I havn't used any cascade stuff for years.

Back