Cascade Golden Harvest Lager - Smells A Bit Like A Fart.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightLager

Reaction score
Evening All,

Well it is 14 days after bottling my Cascade Golden Harvest Lager. It was a basic kit and kilo brew, 1Kg of dextrose. Brewed over three days here is Brissy, at bit too warm, I agree.

On the positive side, the head retention is good, the colour is great and there is only a small home brew twang after 2 weeks. Overall 3/4 ain't bad.

However, my better half says it smells like a fart, unfortunately I have to agree. It smells like home brew, but has only a small home brew taste. If you hold your nose it actually tastes pretty good.

As a noobe, does anyone else have a comment on this?

Cheers,

LL

Bad yeast?
Infection?
Sulfur smell?

Bad yeast? It was out of the kit. It brewed in 3 days, so I believe it was "alive".

I would have no idea what an infection looks like, but it looked "reasonable" to during bottling and when cleaning out the fermenter.

I would go with sulfur smell.

However, my better half says it smells like a fart, unfortunately I have to agree. It smells like home brew,
LL

While I'm worried about a woman who thinks homebrew smells like fart, I'm really worried about a brewer who agrees. Either brew better beer or stop agreeing with women. Or else don't ever post inciteful, mean, downright nasty comments like this again !

:icon_chickcheers:

Sulphur smells are common with many yeasts, and should go away with a bit of time in the bottle.

Either brew better beer or stop agreeing with women. Or else don't ever post inciteful, mean, downright nasty comments like this again !

I am sorry sir. Unfortunately, I am in the pursuit of better beer, and there is no mistaking the "bottom burp" aroma.

I had a craft beer at the Pumphouse the other week that carried similar traits. It was OK to the taste, but smelled very bad, like an out-of-tune unleaded vehicle (ie 'that fart smell'). Think it was a lager.

EDIT: I think it was Rooftop Red

I assume this brew comes with a true lager yeast (but I may assume wrong) and if so you've brewed it way too warm.

Perhaps concentrate on brewing ales until you can achieve better temperature control.

put it in the cupboard, brew something else and try it again in a month or two. Every chance it will clean itself up a bit with some conditioning.

Brendo

I am sorry sir. Unfortunately, I am in the pursuit of better beer, and there is no mistaking the "bottom burp" aroma.

You are clearly young, and new to this site. I forgive you your sins. You obviously understand the humour in a good fart joke. :lol:

You are clearly young, and new to this site. I forgive you your sins. You obviously understand the humour in a good fart joke. :lol:

The only thing I am worried about is throwing away good beer. If it needs a week of 4 ok, but if there is no hope.... well there is a need for bottles around here.... ;) Cheers Mate... If I could brew a beer that did not smell like a SBD I would share it with you.... :p

I think with most beers you should 'cellar' them for a while anyway, so why not just sit on these ones till about January, try again, and if there's some improvement, but not complete, wait another month etc. You may find that a lot of basic kit beers won't be to your taste a couple of weeks after bottling. In the meantime, you will need to find yourself more bottles (local restauarant bins!) and maybe do a wheat beer to give you some quick turnaround suds. I can recommend the Coopers Wheat + liquid wheat malt - you'll be drinking it three weeks after pitching.

EDIT: For Typo's

I wonder how you make the comparison? Fart in a bottle?
A side by side trial may be called for.

I have the same kit and the yeast is "Cascade Bavarian Yeast" tells me nothing.
The Cascade website tells me less [post="0"]Cascade[/post]

I think with most beers you should 'cellar' them for a while anyway, so why not just sit on these ones till about January, try again, and if there's some improvement, but not complete, wait another month etc. You may find that a lot of basic kit beers won't be to your taste a couple of weeks after bottling. In the meantime, you will need to find yourself more bottles (local restauarant bins!) and maybe do a wheat beer to give you some quick turnaround suds. I can recommend the Coopers Wheat + liquid wheat malt - you'll be drinking it three weeks after pitching.

EDIT: For Typo's

Local restaurant bins is brilliant! I will see what I can bin dive.

I am not a big fan of wheat beer, but I have never made my own I will give it a go. I have not seen Coopers Wheat at the LHBS, it is a rare tin or do I need to look elsewhere? Cheers...

I wonder how you make the comparison? Fart in a bottle?
A side by side trial may be called for.

I agree, but if you smelt this one you would be looking for the culprit!

I have the same kit and the yeast is "Cascade Bavarian Yeast" tells me nothing.
The Cascade website tells me less [post="0"]Cascade[/post]

I thought the packaging said "Cascade Bohemian Yeast" but I threw out the packet when I pitched the yeast.

My current brew I have hijacked the wine fridge for a nice constant temp and am using US-05. I made a note the other night that it was actually tasting ok straight out of the fermenter.... Maybe I need more training.

I agree, but if you smelt this one you would be looking for the culprit!

I thought the packaging said "Cascade Bohemian Yeast" but I threw out the packet when I pitched the yeast.

My current brew I have hijacked the wine fridge for a nice constant temp and am using US-05. I made a note the other night that it was actually tasting ok straight out of the fermenter.... Maybe I need more training.

When you can snatch the pebbles from my hand, grasshopper ...............

The sulphur smell associated with lagers is usually something that occurs during fermentation. To retain it through the bottling stage indicates an insufficient diacetyl rest at the end of the fermentation. In short, you bottled too soon, before the yeast had a chance to clean up its own mess, if you will. Don't worry about it. This aint something that will happen every brew. Cascade GH is not a great kit anyway - move onto better things.

using US-05 will not see the same problem as this is an ale yeast, a very good ale yeast. Trust me when I say, until you know more about yeasts, treat this as your standard use yeast. Nothing better for that purpose in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, the actual pamphlet that comes with those Cascade cans (I read the instructions :wacko: ) says, "During fermentation you will notice sulphur-like smells - this is normal and will clear" or something like that.

I had one that smelled like Rotorua (those who have been to that effervescent place will know what I mean). I think it was the aptly named, Spicy Ghost.

I had one that smelled like Rotorua (those who have been to that effervescent place will know what I mean). I think it was the aptly named, Spicy Ghost.

Yeah, worst infected kit I ever brewed was Cascade Spicy Ghost. Should have been renamed 'Spicy Fart' :lol: Lots of people have had issues with that one. Think the yeast they supplied with them at one point were dudders.

Hopper.

iirc the cascade kit comes with a lager yeast.

that is going on memory though, could be wrong.

regardless, the cascade kits are renowned for coming with terrible yeasts. much better off throwing it out and spending a couple extra bucks and getting a decent yeast.

if its sulphur, then time will heal the wounds.

Latest posts

Back