Cascade Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3G

Reaction score
Any feedback on the following would be appreciated
A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 41.90 Wort Size (L): 41.90
Total Grain (kg): 10.34
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.51
Anticipated SRM: 10.8
Anticipated IBU: 36.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.7 8.45 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
17.3 1.79 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
1.0 0.10 kg. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
60.48 g. Cascade Pellet 6.35 26.2 First WH
40.20 g. Cascade Pellet 6.35 10.1 20 min.
40.20 g. Cascade Pellet 6.35 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

I'd drop the first cascade for something neatrual and higher in AA% so you wont have to use as much. You wont taste the bittering anyway (well when i say wont tatste it wont be a cascade taste, could be any bittering).

But if you have a crapload of cascade there then why not. It will be deliscous either way.

edit - just picked up the first add is FWH. go for it.

Cool, i usually use magnum for 60min addition but want to do FWH this brew. I :p should drop all the other additions to see how that would turn out.

I'd drop the first cascade for something neatrual and higher in AA% so you wont have to use as much. You wont taste the bittering anyway (well when i say wont tatste it wont be a cascade taste, could be any bittering).

But if you have a crapload of cascade there then why not. It will be deliscous either way.

FWH though should help get in some flavour, as it allows time for the hop to be oxidized to a non/less-volatile form before it is boiled off. It's an experiment I've been meaning to do for some time to compare the difference first hand though, rather than just taking someone else's word for it.

Cheers
Q

EDit : Beaten twice it seems!

I could do a SMASHSA
single malt and single hop single addition.

I could do a SMASHSA
single malt and single hop single addition.

My best beer ever has been a SMASHSA with Galaxy malt and Chinook. Only 20g chinook 90 minutes but the hops are unbelievable, I would love to do say 40g Cascade and I'm hanging out for Galaxy to come back in.
Currently boiling one using Pilsener malt and Superpride 20g 90 mins as an Aussie Standard Lager.

I should admit to using rice as well but that's not M that's R :p

SMASHSA works ok for Coopers Pale Ale as well.

edit: shyte forgot the whirlfloc thanks for reminding me (blur out of door)

Personally i think the recipe is tops! I'd Drop the Munich back to around 8% and replace with the base malt to 91%. Ive found (and competition said) it was too malty to be a APA with that % of Munich. 8% is usually my sweet spot to get that improved maltiness

hopping looks great! mmm cascade!

Looks good, I agree with above comments though about Cascade for bittering, I'm not a fan.

Use your Magnum instead or even as a FWH and throw some of the other Cascade in for a dry hop addition.

BB

Thanks fourstar,ill drop the munich to 8%
A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 41.90 Wort Size (L): 41.90
Total Grain (kg): 10.39
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.57
Anticipated SRM: 10.5
Anticipated IBU: 36.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
90.9 9.45 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
8.1 0.84 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
1.0 0.10 kg. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
60.48 g. Cascade Pellet 6.35 26.2 First WH
40.20 g. Cascade Pellet 6.35 10.0 20 min.
40.20 g. Cascade Pellet 6.35 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

Using Cascade as FWH works a treat. I do it in my regular house APA "Twisted Gut".

My last batch of it was brewed 5 months ago, and it's still got heaps of Cascade flavour and aroma.
It's on the schedule as my next brew again.

Thanks fourstar,ill drop the munich to 8%

Looks good mate, Looks like something that would be lurking in my Recipe DB!

I love FWH, i do it almost religiously in my brewing these days. Great utilization and a clean smooth bitterness too. So far ive used Simcoe, EKG, Cascade, Chinook, Hallertau and Northern Brewer with no i'll effects.

I'd say go for it! As for the Choc Malt @ 1%. never done that in an APA, my AAA usually get .5-2% and that gives it a neuance to a noticable choc character (almost @ a JSAA level of chocolatiness) behind a wall of crystal sweetness. Interested to know how this goes. More-so if the malt profile seems more like an ESB than an APA.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Yeah, i was considering a tad of crystal 150 instead of the choc, i dont want this to be cloying at all

i use carared in most of my apa's these days. go chew on some uncracked carared i swear its so nice.

This is my APA that I do with all Cascade

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 87.30 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 7.94 %
0.30 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC) Grain 4.76 %
60.00 gm Cascade [8.30 %] (60 min) Hops 42.9 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [8.30 %] (45 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [8.30 %] (30 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [8.30 %] (10 min) Hops 7.8 IBU

I have this bubbling away in the fermenter now, can't wait for it to finish!!

80 ibu, that is one bitter APA with an OG of around 1060

It actually ended up 1.066, but still nice to drink, probably a bit too dark from the crystal for an APA.

Cascade is appropriate for an American pale ale, so I would keep it. If you have Centennial available, you can use that for the bittering hops and save some hops since it has a very similar flavor profile but is higher in bittering potential. Some call it "super cascades" because of that. I grew both last year and used Centennial for bittering in one APA and ran low for my pumpkin APA, so I used an appropriate amount of Cascades to fill out the rest of the bittering. I haven't bottled it yet and hope to this week since my company shut down the Kenworth plant I work at for one week, then two 4-day weeks after that.

As for the chocolate malt, I would delete that. Your choice, though. If you want a darker looking beer, it will help, but I don't think the flavor will keep it in the APA category.

In my Centennial APA last year I used .45 kg of Dextrine (I think it's also called Cara-Pils) malt, .45 kg of Munich, and 4.5 kg of Briess base malt (2-row, I think). It turned out great, but I would have used some Crystal in it if I had any at the time.

The pumpkin APA got .45 kg of crystal in addition to the Centennial APA. Of course, it got other ingredients since it was to showcase the pumpkin flavor and spices. I haven't bottled it yet but a quick taste says it will be great also. We have access to cheap pumpkins locally, so I thought I'd give a pumpkin ale a try. I thought that an APA would make a good base beer for it.

Centennial and Cascade add a bit of a citrusy flavor that is in many APA beers. Some don't like the flavor. Others love it. But you probably want some character to your beer and not just a neutral hop.

Just my feelings on the matter. You may want to do it differently, since you're the one who will be drinking it.

(I wish that the US had went ahead back in the mid 1970s and converted to the MKS measuring system. I have to work with two different unit systems here and the Metric system just makes such more sense since it is all base 10 in nature.)

Donald

As for the chocolate malt, I would delete that. Your choice, though. If you want a darker looking beer, it will help, but I don't think the flavor will keep it in the APA category.

That was also my original thought, i didnt want to be a bjcp officer so i kept shut. stylistically, it allows for some speciailty malt character for 'uniqueness'. IMO a 1% addition wont add much besides some colour and a little nuttiness.. maybe make the base malt more like MO.

i use carared in most of my apa's these days. go chew on some uncracked carared i swear its so nice.

HI Fents
What grainbill do you use, including carared, in an apa?

3G - how did this go? Any notes on what you'd change for next time? I'm looking at doing something similar...

Back