Pintail Pale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would certainly be looking at the grain bill but you'll also have a darker beer if you've not made the intended liquid volume...

I've never experienced hop aroma dying off in the space of a week - if anything I've noticed less hop aroma before a beer is fully carbonated... Unless you wanted to experiment with a hop shot or the like then I guess chalk it up as a drinkable experiment :)

How long has it been in the bottle for? is it fully carbonated?

fdsaasdf said:
I would certainly be looking at the grain bill but you'll also have a darker beer if you've not made the intended liquid volume...

I've never experienced hop aroma dying off in the space of a week - if anything I've noticed less hop aroma before a beer is fully carbonated... Unless you wanted to experiment with a hop shot or the like then I guess chalk it up as a drinkable experiment :)

How long has it been in the bottle for? is it fully carbonated?
A little over 2 weeks now in bottle. The volume loss was post boil due to a blocked pump so don't think this will have impacted colour?

Killer Brew said:
The volume loss was post boil due to a blocked pump so don't think this will have impacted colour?
Ok, sorry I misunderstood what you meant there. Doesn't sound like that is relevant to your flavour issue...

Killer Brew said:
A little over 2 weeks now in bottle.
I find 4 weeks or so is where the hop aroma and flavour really shines.

indica86 said:
I find 4 weeks or so is where the hop aroma and flavour really shines.
Interesting. Will wait and see if it comes back. Not confident though as it seems to have totally dropped out.

personally your chasing the wrong hops
chinook could be the bittering but the flavour and aroma are motueka.
from the dans website.
San Diego. The mid 1980s. Chris Cramer and Matt Rattner decided to begin producing true American craft beer. The inspiration behind the naming of the Pintail Pale Ale was the endless cavalcade of Pintails heading to the beach to be ridden on the big waves of summer. The board provided excellent balance on the big waves, just like this Pale Ale is the perfect balance in hops. New Zealand Motueka hops are blended with American Cascade hops to provide a spicy, crisp and dry American Pale Ale with a delicious mouthfeel and superb length of flavour.
personally id use cascade for littering and a mix of cascade and motueka for flavour and aroma.

Does look a little dark. I love the Strauss beers, although prefer tower 10 to pintail. The red trolley ale is a cracker too.

Ive been hunting "piney", more resin the better. Im using Simcoe and Chinook in much the same way as you're doing. Lots of small additions often.

Bit of wheat and light crystal gives a good colour and nice fluffy head.

Found that adding some calcium helps hold the hop aroma.

You're on a good path..... more tweaks i see (damn I'm channeling yoda again ....)

Barls......you mean I've been wasting all my homelands dodgy saaz on pilsners ...... (actually bloody nice pils thanks to a recipe inspiration on the forum!)

barls said:
personally your chasing the wrong hops
chinook could be the bittering but the flavour and aroma are motueka.
from the dans website.

personally id use cascade for littering and a mix of cascade and motueka for flavour and aroma.
I'm still convinced that's what I read on the Strauss website and on a couple of US forums a while back, but it doesn't agree with the info currently on the Strauss website, which now lists the hops KB used

Yep. Got my hops from their website. Might have their quantities and use completely wrong though.

STATS:
ABV: 5.3%
Color: 15 SRM
Bitterness: 47 IBU
Availability: 24/7/365, Kegs, six-packs, and 22oz
TASTING NOTES:
Style: American Pale Ale
Malt: Pale 2-Row, Caramel 60
Hops: Cascade, Chinook and Dry Hopped with Amarillo

Back