Cascade 1st Harvest.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a six pack of the '09 First Harvest. Has anyone else had this? What were your impressions?

Im losing track (happens when you get old!) did this come out months ago or is it brand new ? If it came out months ago then yea, Ive tried it, thought it was pretty great and acoually went back for a couple more 6-packs while it was in my local. (although I have read that others werent that impressed with it). Personally I would drink this over the new JS Hop Thief.

Hop Thief? That sounds like a cool name for a beer! Yeah, not too sure when it came out exactly, but I think it's been out for a lil while. I'm gonna go have one now. :)

Hop thief was soooooo last weeks news LOL. Nah, officially it comes out June 8th, but strangely everyone in the universe seems to have already tasted it (including me). Check it out, its also a limited release like the First Harvest, but its brewed by James Squire. And its nothing like the cascade youre about to try !

Well the cascade didn't impress me from the first sip (gulp?). But it's getting better. It's pretty bitter. But finishes nice.

I tried it last night, and found it a bit bland. But, I had just tried a Kooinda pale, and a Little Creatures pale, and it did not compare to those two very hoppy beers!

+1 Agreed. I hope the JS Pilsner that's in the fridge is better :)

Yea 2008's was better than this years imo. Still a lovely beer coming from Cascade, their best by about a trillion miles.

Yeh I bought a sixer of this the other day, and its pretty average, certianly not as good as last years

I just got a six pack of the '09 First Harvest. Has anyone else had this? What were your impressions?

Tried it a few weeks back. Once I got over the initial green taste, well thats what I called it, it was not to bad. Liked it but would not rave about it. Just something different.

BYB

Might have to find me some of this I think.

Can anyone clarify if this is 'just released', because Im sure one only came out around 6 months ago max.

agreed with fents, the 08 vintage was so much better than this year, i brought a whole six pack and wasn't really impressed at all with the 09.

jimmy

This is the 2009 version with the 50 year anni label on it.

i have to agree not a patch on last years effort. found it to be bland and no real hop presence at all.

It's a pity, last years First Harvest was a grand beer...
This year = -_-

MAybe its a sign of the quality of this years hop crop

I didn't particularly like the hop character of last year's either, and found it generally unbalanced, though it was nice to have a bit of malt sweetness. Much lighter this year.

I tried this years first harvest last night..... Let me start by saying that last years release was one of the best beers I have ever tried.

This years had a very astringent bitterness and by the second (which is where I stopped) all I could smell and taste was green apples.... ACETALDEHYDE!

WTF? If I brewed this I would have tipped the &$*%ing thing down the sink.

Cascade get some quality control!

It is possible that I am overly sensitive to acetaldehyde, but that is no excuse for Cascade to release a substandard product and charge $20 for a six pack.

:angry:

Latest posts

Back