Cartridge Filter Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerRx4

Reaction score
I am about to give up on a filter I bought recently. Hoping someone can point out the obvious problem that I seem to be missing.

The filter is pretty standard fare from what Ive seem across the brewing forums > http://www.clarencewaterfilters.com.au/sho...p;productId=305

I bought it with a 1micron nominal cartridge.

Exited to filter some beer to brightness, I racked a cube of chilled -1deg c beer into a keg & setup to filter.
Started by pushing some iodophor from a keg through filter into another keg, finishing by pushing the iodophor out of the filter with co2.

Now with a sanitised & co2 purged filter, I stared pushing beer through the filter, I intended to run off the first few hundred ml to waste to take any residual iodophor out. I took a sample in a glass & held it up to find it looked as hazy as ever. I ended up continuing to run the rest through to the intended keg but it never ran bright.

So I figured the cartridge was too course. Bought a 1um absolute. same deal. Bought a 0.35um. still same deal.

I have a plate filter that will filter diamond bright but pads cost $7.50 a pair, & there is a fair amount of beer lost to waste. The cartridge filter was supposed to replace it & be more economical but looks like I made a mistake.

Any suggestions?

Did you get you cartridges from the same supplier? Reason I ask is, are you sure they are made for that housing, obvious I know just thinking...

I run the exact same filter with a 1 micron absolute cartridge and have never had a problem.. always the clearest brightest beers.

Another thought would be, are you lubricating the end of the filter cartridge when tightening up the housing lid? If not, it is simple to twist the cartridge to the point of ripping and hence no longer a filter... I know it sounds unlikely have ripped 3 filter but again just thinking...

I clean mine by soaking and never push cleaner through it, I filter a keg, rinse the f8ck hole out of it, then fill with nappysan mix and leave to soak, for sometime up to a week. a day or to before needing to use it again I rinse the f8ck hole out of it and let it soak in clean water for a day, it come up, literally like new. Then no rinse an hour or 2 before using...

I know I have no answers for you mate but it may trigger something for you.

Also, on mine, I run a clear piece of tube on the out let that lets me visually check all is clear, pardon the pun, when using it.

I am off to use it now so will take a pic or 2 and post if needed.

I hope you sort it, I love my filter and having perfectly clear beer - great for guest but more so great for me. Plus it helps you cheat a little on somethings!

Cheers

I am about to give up on a filter I bought recently. Hoping someone can point out the obvious problem that I seem to be missing.

The filter is pretty standard fare from what Ive seem across the brewing forums > http://www.clarencewaterfilters.com.au/sho...p;productId=305

I bought it with a 1micron nominal cartridge.

Exited to filter some beer to brightness, I racked a cube of chilled -1deg c beer into a keg & setup to filter.
Started by pushing some iodophor from a keg through filter into another keg, finishing by pushing the iodophor out of the filter with co2.

Now with a sanitised & co2 purged filter, I stared pushing beer through the filter, I intended to run off the first few hundred ml to waste to take any residual iodophor out. I took a sample in a glass & held it up to find it looked as hazy as ever. I ended up continuing to run the rest through to the intended keg but it never ran bright.

So I figured the cartridge was too course. Bought a 1um absolute. same deal. Bought a 0.35um. still same deal.

I have a plate filter that will filter diamond bright but pads cost $7.50 a pair, & there is a fair amount of beer lost to waste. The cartridge filter was supposed to replace it & be more economical but looks like I made a mistake.

Any suggestions?

Hi K 4x4

I use a similar filter with a 1 micron absolute and I found that my beer was a lot clearer when I allowed the beer to gravity feed thru the filter that to push it thru with co2.

I raise a cube above the filter and the keg and just let the beer run thru at its own pace - takes about 15 mins.
To sanitise the filter I just soak the filter in its housing in starsan and then tip it out and reasemble the filter and run off the first few hundred mils of beer before hooking it to the outpost of the keg.

You could just have a tube to go to the bottom of the keg if you wish.

On another note dont confuse badlly filtered beer with chill haze.
Chill haze is basically protiens left in the beer that clump together when the beer is cold.
If you are filtering cold beer and it is cloudy, pour some in a glas and warm it up and see if it clears up.
If it does you may need to use some polyclar or similar.
I hope this helps.

Cheers

Fast reply: Did one batch and it was fantastic. Did second after using polyclar and what a mess and had to refilter! Did a third batch and was brillant again. I think that you need to be careful that the cartdrige is sitting square to the bottom and top housing flanges.. I'm yet to go the fourth round tomorrow. I know that you can use the food grade grease, but I don't think that that should be necessary.

Hirns <_<

Are your filter housings and filter compatible? there are 10" and 9 3/4" sizes?
Does filtering remove chill haze?

If you bought your filters from site posted I'ld say they were compatible being 10". Maybe the filter is not seated well.

I tried to filter again tonight, another total failure.

A new 1um absolute cartridge. This time I tried filtering by gravity in case the cartridges were being damaged by filtering under pressure/co2 purging.

I filled the filter by holding the air purge valve open until beer came out, then unscrewed the beer QD off the out line to allow beer to flow out into a bucket. I ran off a bit into a glass & no joy.

I unhooked the filter & took a sample from the fermenter tap in another glass, side by side they look the same to me. I Let them warm up & no difference.

The filters all appear to seal in the housing as there are good continuous indentations in each end.

I don't understand how everyone else using these seems to successfully filter bright & for me its just not happening.

What filter are you using? Is it a pleated cartridge or the poly spun? If it is the poly spun that would explain a lot, but if its the pleated cartridge um buggered.

All the cartridges are pleated. It has been an expensive failure of a filter.

Latest posts

Back