Carona Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nath151

Reaction score
hi all

i got a brewcraft mexican cerveza kit today it came with a yeast sachet and a special enzyme sachet
just wondering when to put the special enzyme sachet in to the fermentor

Cheers

Nath

Suggest you put the dry enzyme in the rubbish bin from what they say !

That thread is pretty entertaining.....nothing like a flame war (when I'm not in it :lol: )

As for the enzyme....I'll start with the admission that I've never used it myself. But in the thread pumpy linked to, there are actually some good explainations of what it does (when you read between the arguments). There was another thread several months ago specifically regarding using the enzyme in the exact same kit that you have, Nath...but I can't find it. <_< From memory, though, I think the general concensus of those that have used the kit was that without the enzyme it had a lot more flavour, and still came out fairly light bodied and dry enough (as opposed to very light bodied and dry as a bone)....which doesn't really surprise me that much, because there are a lot of easily fermentable sugars in that particular brewpack.

My first kit brew was a Brewcraft Mexican. Fermented like buggery at 28C for 5 or 6 days, then promptly bottled. Needless to say most of it went down the sink.

I recall adding the enzyme after most of the bubbling stopped. In hindsight it probably served little purpose, the beer ended up cidery, rather tasteless and watery.

I've used the dreded enzyme twice, those 2 batches were the only HB's I got a hangover from, I'll never use it again

I've used the dreded enzyme twice, those 2 batches were the only HB's I got a hangover from, I'll never use it again

+1 :icon_vomit:

Once upon a time, I went ahead and used it despite the advice to the contrary. Never again, it's a great way to spoil a beer. Tasted like floor cleaner. (And I've drunk many a floor cleaner in my times of despair :blink: )

In case you missed it.... :icon_vomit:

Amyloglucosidase is an enzyme that breaks up Dextrin into Glucose, used to create so called Dry or Lo Carb Beers.

Ideally added about half way through fermentation (tho its usually added at the start), always remember to leave the beer in the fermenter for a couple of days longer than usual as the action of the enzyme is similar to having a bit of extra sugar added to the brew every day.

These arent my favourite style of beer, tho they are huge sellers, there are at least 5 kits available with the enzyme included and they are all good sellers.
The Dry Enzyme sachets are also very popular (except on AHB) all be it not with me.

MHB

thanks everyone
i think ill give it a miss this time might try it next time

Nath

... always remember to leave the beer in the fermenter for a couple of days longer than usual as the action of the enzyme is similar to having a bit of extra sugar added to the brew every day.

Good point. You need to properly check your gravity over multiple days because there is a very real risk of bottle bombs if you bottle it according to your normal schedule.

Chuck the dry enzyme in the bin. I did one of those brewcraft blond kits as the first brew I did in this reincarnation of brewing.
It was horrid and the kids looked at me weird, when they saw me trying to squeeze some piss out of the cat into my mouth to wash the taste out.
When I think about it now, I dont know why I even wanted a blond clone. Lack of brew tastings me thinks.

hey i've got a coopers carona brew kit has any one done a good brew with one of these kits? and if so any tips on makin a clone would be great?

The ragin pisswreck

I did the coopers mexican a month or so ago, it will be the last time I do it too, I'll see what it's like over the next few weeks & if it doesn't get better I'll be watering the lawn with it.

Nathan

My first brew was a coopers mex cerveza, 250g LDME and 500g dextrose, top up to 20L and used the kit yeast. It wasn't corona, but it was an easy drinking beer. Nobody had any complaints except for me due to the homebrew taste which I think came from using the kit yeast and not putting some sort of hops in there for flavour. But it was a quick and easy brew to put into a keg.

pisswreck....
if your up to boiling some hops, tin + 1kg ldm. Boil 250g of the ldm in 5L with 20gsaaz for 15min.
If you want straight kit with no additional boil, tin + 250gldm to 16L only. Preferably dry hop with sazz.
replace yeast, though. Given your temp issues, go with an ale yeast, US05, but keep the ferment down to 20C, 18 is better.

cheers guys i'll give that one a try tonight after i bottle my porter.

Give the whole kits of mexican beer a miss and buy a horse & a bucket instead.

That thread is pretty entertaining.....nothing like a flame war (when I'm not in it :lol: )

:icon_offtopic:

Yeah it is pretty funny, first flame I've seen on here. I used to go on a bowling forum(technical) and there where to guy's argueing over whats the best screwdriver to use to take a part of one of the machines off. Then I threw a spanner in the works by asking "which is the best to use if your let handed?"

Aaron

Latest posts

Back