Carboys With Taps.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
i was at the hbs on the way home tonight and started to look at the glass carboys they have with taps in the bottom of them. does any one here have any experiance with these, as i was thining they would be better for aging my funky beers in than standard carboys because i could take a small sample from the bottom without disturbing the pellicle. does any one have any experiance with these good or bad before i lay down any dough on them?

I use 10L plastic water containers from bunnings and have aged things for a few months, not as good as glass but i haven't seen any problems for ageing funky beers.

Taps in carboys negate the advantage it has regarding sanitation, since it's a single smooth surface uninterrupted by thread for taps.

i only use glass for funky and sour beers mainly to prevent excess oxidation so sanitation from beer to beer should be alright i think. im not sure though wether the taps are much chop or wether when the level drops from taking a sample if the pellicle will stay intact. i might just buy one and give it a go anyway, whats the worst that could happen i could get a brett infection :)

Latest posts

Back