Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, when carbing can i gas at 240kpa for a day then turn down to serving pressure and drink or does it have to stay at serving pressure for a few more days? any help appreciated.
cheers.

With a chilled keg I would go 300kpa for around 24 hours then reduce to serving pressure.

Scooza

If your interested in drinking sooner have you read or tried the Ross Method?
A full 9 pages there but the method is outlined in the first 10 posts.

Drew

The method I use depends on whether or not the keg has been pre-chilled.
If the keg has been chilled for 24 hrs, I gas at 300kpa for 26 hrs. Lately, I have been puting a warm keg in the fridge and gassing at 300kpa for 48 hrs. Both have good results. I have never tried to force carbonate by rocking the keg though. I think it would be too inconsistent.

I would leave your gas at serving pressure for sure, in the long term.

thanks all, i ended up gassing at 240kpa for 8hrs then 4hrs at 300kpa then turned down to 75kpa for a day and it turned out alright. no over carbing this one (third keg and happy with this carb). bit off topic but i only do a tooheys special lager from shop. is there any difference?
cheers.

when you guys carb for 24-48 hrs, do you then release the pressure release valve, then adjust to serving level?
ive only carbed 2 kegs now, but still having dramas with it, and i want to get it right for my next 2 that are almost ready.

I use the ROTF method from some fat yank on youtube.

Turn the gas up to 200kpa and connect the gas to the IN post. Lay 7C keg on its side so the IN post is at the bottom and agitate it with your foot about 3 times a second back and forth (small quick movements). You can hear the gas bubbling through the beer and settling in the large surface area all the way down the keg (because it's on its side). You want to encourage splashing in this large headspace.

Do this for 30 seconds and then turn off the cylinder's tap. Keep agitating and when the high pressure dial hits zero, look at the low pressure dial. Shake a little to get the last bits of gas to fart in and read the gauge. I aim for 100-130kpa (I serve at 7C). Sometimes it take s a little bit more agitating and gas, but usually about 30-60 seconds is right.

Remove gas line and put keg in fridge, and leave it for more than 3 hours. I don't vent, just pour. The first one can be half head, but the second is about 25% head - which I find perfect. I leave it at 30kpa (my serving pressure).

Make dam sure you have a non-return valve if you can't be sure your reg is set at higher pressure than your keg.

when you guys carb for 24-48 hrs, do you then release the pressure release valve, then adjust to serving level?
ive only carbed 2 kegs now, but still having dramas with it, and i want to get it right for my next 2 that are almost ready.

The easiest way to ensure you don't overcarb is to set to pouring pressure and leave in the fridge. About a week or so and it's done.
Another way is set to pouring pressure then rockit until it's done.

+1. Me and a mate play soccer with the keg while having a few beers.

The easiest way to ensure you don't overcarb is to set to pouring pressure and leave in the fridge. About a week or so and it's done.
Another way is set to pouring pressure then rockit until it's done.

Latest posts

Back