Carbonation Over Night

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
hello,

I have just brewed a Cider using fresh apple juice and wine yeast - It was in the fermenter for 10 days.

I then bulk primed with Dextrose at a rate of 7g/ Litre. (10 Litre batch = 70g)

I bottled the cider mostly in Plastic PET Bottles and the following afternoon the bottles were getting fairly firm.
It is now day 2 and is probably slightly firmer but not overly.

Is this normal to carb up so quickly - I know it has been quite warm in Sydney!?

Is it best to store them all in the fridge or wait a week or two in the bottle at room temperature?

Thanks

plastic pet bottles should be fine, although i have seen the arse blown out of one once...i'd keep them out of heat though, keep em somewhere 18-25ish if possible. Did you check the OG and that the FG was stable over a couple of days?

you may have over done it with the dextrose but i dont really know what the going priming rate is for cider as i usually keg all mine.

Did you check the OG and that the FG was stable over a couple of days?
Not just stable, but sufficiently low... ciders can finish pretty dry, so perhaps this just wasn't finished? In that case I'd be making sure the bottles are somewhere... explosive proof.

Not just stable, but sufficiently low... ciders can finish pretty dry, so perhaps this just wasn't finished? In that case I'd be making sure the bottles are somewhere... explosive proof.

Somewhere like this perhaps?

shelter_drawing.gif

Back