Carbonation In Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigo

Reaction score
just wondering on how long i takes to see the carbonation in the bottles or if you dont see it at all until you open one?

Generally up to 4 weeks if left around 20 degrees.

It will depend on beer style though, big beers may take longer for example with the high alc % inhibiting the yeast.

You cannot see it from observation. An open bottle is the only way to tell if it's carbonated.

I agree with the previous poster as to an appropriate time to allow your bottles to carbonate properly.
Having said that, you can often have carbonation in as little as a week.

Two weeks at room (20 deg) temp is usually a good time frame. I'd leave it longer though to let the beer mature a little. Especially big beers

With PET bottles, apparently you can feel when they harden up. With glass, what they said - can be as little as one week. There's no harm in trying one at this time anyway. Generally, I'm dying to have a sample by one week out!

2 weeks for carbonation, thats when I'll test one.
But i'll never expect the first one to taste that great.
The only brew I've done thats ready for a bit of a binge after this time is DSGA, most of my pale ales need a month or 2 to taste decent enough to enjoy myself :icon_drunk:

And occasionally you get a brew which just whacks you in the face with amazement.

Just had a longneck of a Mild bottled about 12 days ago. Perfectly carbonated with a very dense head, which lasted all the way to the bottom of the pint glass, and left lovely lacing all the way down. Lucky me, I guess.

Bottle carbonation speed is dependant on the numbers of yeast in the bottle and temperature (and of course the yeast's health, O2 and alc content etc etc). But generally, the clearer your beer when you bottle the longer it'll take to carb up and clean up - but also the longer it'll take to be clear and bright.

That said, you only need "adequate" numbers of yeasties to get it fizzy in 14 days, not clouds of them.

I bottle into PET. Whenever I bottle "that last bottle that some sludge slops into" it's always carbed up about 4 days earlier than the rest of the bottles and is obvious because it has twice the sediment at the bottom.

I bottle into PET. Whenever I bottle "that last bottle that some sludge slops into" it's always carbed up about 4 days earlier than the rest of the bottles and is obvious because it has twice the sediment at the bottom.

I know what you mean. I was quietly bottling away and didn't notice that I was basically pouring trub into my last bottle (the level of trub was much higher in the fermenter than on my other brews). My last bottle has at least an inch of sludge in it. Needless to say the PET bottle was as tight a drum the next day, and I've "burped" it twice since then. I'll probably use it as my "I can't wait any longer" test bottle in a week or so.

For some unknown reason my brews take a good 8 weeks if not closer to 12 weeks to get good carbonation in bottles. I primary ferment for 2 - 3 weeks so it could be low on yeast in the bottle.

For some unknown reason my brews take a good 8 weeks if not closer to 12 weeks to get good carbonation in bottles. I primary ferment for 2 - 3 weeks so it could be low on yeast in the bottle.

That's a fair while. It's good in a way as it lets your beer age a little bit. What temp are they stored in and do you filter?

There are two indicators I look for in glass bottles to tell when things are carb'd up OK. This does not mean the beer is at it's best though - far from it.
1) The cap will have a convex shape - very subtle, but it should be visible. This is just a sign of pressure.
2) The beer will look clearish and there is sediment on the base of the bottle.

Fear_n_Loath

Back