Carbonation/Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexpanda

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So when I pour a beer it gets a perfect head, but it disappears within 2min to nothing. Why is this?? Also the beers do not seem too be as carbed up as they should be. I have been using carbonation drops, 2 per tallie, I think I'll be bulking priming the next lot too be sure the right amount of sugar is actually going in.

It could be a lot of things, really. Most common is soap residue in the glass, that kills head quite quickly.

What sort of brewing do you do? If it's kit stuff, soap residue in the glass as well as the bottles are possible causes. I hear a lot of people get issues from using too much cleaning solution (like dishwashing liquid) and not giving it a thorough-enough rinse afterwards.
If you do all-grain, then you have to open Pandora's Box for the answer. Causes may range from inclusion of certain steps in the mash, exclusions of other steps (like a 72°C rest) and grain choices. The presence of soap still applies.

As for carbonation, 2 drops per 750ml bottle should give you adequate carbonation. Moving to bulk priming won't change this. I'd say low carbonation would be more likely to do with storage time and conditions (namely temp) than anything else.
That said, I encourage you to try bulk priming because it has many other merits.

Hey i do not rinse my glass with soap, water and then straight into the freezer. Bottles get a very good clean with pink stain and then hot water and then rinse less steriliser. But yes I will be giving bulk priming ago, and I'm only brewing kit at the moment. Mexican, Dark Ale, Larger and Golden Ale so far and all have the same head problem. Have tried a few different glass, all with no soap. May be the bottles but I wouldn't think so.

Always used to happen to me in kit days, not a problem with Ag.

If your doing ~20 Litre kit batches, I used to add 500g of dried wheat malt...made a MASSIVE difference to my head size and retension.

https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4175

Capture.JPG

Hey,I'll go with stakka,
I did kits and results were the same,good head but didn't last.
Spent ages cleaning things and scrubbing glasses---no difference.
Changed to AG and everything is perfect,even when the glasses go through the washing up with the dinner dishes.
Maybe steep or mash some carapils or wheat and add to the kit but others here know a lot more than me about this subject.
Good luck with it anyway.

As stated it can be a number of things but eliminating the drinking glass(s) would be the best place to start. I invested in a brush pub style cleaner. (E Bay under triple glass cleaner $24.99, postage free). It has suction cups underneath and the plastic bowl was from Bunnings for bugger all.image.jpg

Cheers

[SIZE=medium]I had this problem when I brewed kits. I’m not sure of the chemistry behind it, but I believe the proteins in liquid malt extract are not as robust as when they’re directly mashed from grain (probably the extraction process and thermal degradation). I found if I steeped some grain (especially wheat) into my extract brews that I would get improved head retention on my beer. Now that I brew AG I don’t ever have that as an issue at all. [/SIZE]

Hmm ok interesting, I don't think I have any problem with my cleaner process. I might have too try adding some wheat malt and see what happens.

I would suggest cleaning your glasses with detergeant at least occasionally, then rinse well with really hot water.

Water alone does not remove grease on your glasses from lips and hands and this will knock the head off your beer.

Having said that, it is probably the kits.

Even going to extract gives a much better head.

Hmm okay thanks for the info guys, I'll most likely go too an extract

Latest posts

Back