Carbonation Drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo

Reaction score
I have a Stout brewing in the fermenter and it is time to bottle it into my PET bottles which hold about 720mls. Now because I use 500ml glasses, I was wanting to only fill the bottles 3/4 so I can pour a beer straight and not have any left over.

My question is, if I still put in 2 carbonation drops will the lower amount of beer in the bottles cause the beer to explode?

Not a good idea. One- you will have too much headspace which can lead to staling problems and Two - you will end up with overgassed beer.

There is also the potential for bottle bombs which is best avoided as much as possible.

If you live in Melbourne and can pick up, I might have a few European 500mL glass bottles you can have.

Easy solved

1.Once you're finished and its good to drink pour beer
2.Once you have drunk 1/2 or so of the beer top it up

Geez man i drink my longneck bottles with 285ml schooner glass. <_<

If you drink out of a 250ml glass you'll get 3 pours per longneck..

If you're anal about getting full glasses, that is.

I just drink out of a pint glass, and top up when i'm half way through!

+1 to just top it up when you're half way and another +1 to get a jug. Both Fantastic ideas.

I just use a glass that holds about 375ml a long neck is 2 glasses and leaves a little bit left which is good as its all the sediment.

Problem Solved.

2989357770_bdcdb7e1c9.jpg

Back