Carbonation Drops In 330ml Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punchus

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post so be gentle.

I recently purchased my first homebrew kit from The Brewers Den in Boronia and it came with 375ml carbonation tablets.

I had a look at this Post and it seems to say that these tablets "should" not create hand grenades.

However, will this impact the taste of my beer?

Hi all

This is my first post so be gentle.

I recently purchased my first homebrew kit from The Brewers Den in Boronia and it came with 375ml carbonation tablets.

I had a look at this Post and it seems to say that these tablets "should" not create hand grenades.

However, will this impact the taste of my beer?

Mate I use em and they haven't seemed to make a difference but I'm pretty new to brewing myself. Most of these blokes bulk prime so they might have some different ideas. I just find it easy to drop a couple of the drops in my tallies and I'm set.

Mate I use em and they haven't seemed to make a difference but I'm pretty new to brewing myself. Most of these blokes bulk prime so they might have some different ideas. I just find it easy to drop a couple of the drops in my tallies and I'm set.
Thanks Rowy.

I will give it a go and see what happens. As long as they stay in one piece I will be happy

I just capped 6x 330ml bottles of my Jawa APA with one of those carb drops in each.
I'll let you know the outcome on New Years Day!

i use a mix of carb drops and bulk priming.
Carb drops in a 330ml bottle will give a high amount of carbonation, which you can get away with in a lager but I find generally they come out a little fizzy.
By weight they are about 1/4 too much sugar for what you want.
I have in my earlier days cut them in half and used them and got reasonable results, though can be going the too little carb side of things.
I once bulk primed a batch with 50 carb drops(instead of 60 at 1 per bottle) in a second fv and bottled from that, worked out fine.

But really the best-and cheapest- way is bulk priming, I now use 1 cup of dexrose dissolved in 500ml water and put into 2nd fv and racked onto that.
If you dont have a 2nd fv you can add this dex/water to your fermenter and stir gently prior to bottling but can lead to unsettling the yeast cake or
uneven mixing.

Get a 2nd fv or cube or water can from Bunnings or repco/auto pro...youll get your money back in saving on carb drops after 3-4 batches.

There are plenty of calculators for working out how much dex to use....generally 120-160gm depending on style.

Punchus, welcome. Youll be overcarbing to mant styles, but its not bottle-bomb territory by any stretch. As mentioned, look into bulk priming down the tracks if youre not using 375/750ml bottles.

And bravo on doing some searching for yourself, instead of lazily relying on others to guide you through every little step. Theres a ton of info on these forums, and of course people here for when you do get stuck.

Brew strong, bro.

Thanks everyone.

I think my preference was to bulk prime but I got a bag of the drops so I figured why not use them. Another $30 or so for a second fermentor is money well spent I think.

So the question now is can I boil up the carbonation drops before the bulk prime? Or is this a waste of time and should I just buy some dextrose or such?

Latest posts

Back