Carapils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stakka82 said:
I used to use it for almost every brew, then stopped. Have not noticed any difference whatsoever.
Get great retention on all beers without it.
Do you do a 72 rest before mashout?

I've used it in dry stouts to help get a creamy head. In my kits n bits days it really lifted Coopers Lager and Canadian kits (my base kits).

I've questioned this (using Carapils) recently too. I'm not sure if it's a carryover from the Seppo's putting it in kits - where it would work well - or it is unnecessary and the effects (body, head) can be achieved anyway with mash control.

I guess there is going to be a very light caramel from it, and Weyermann say up to 40% could be used (I guess 10% would be no problem).

I have never used it, and in fact took it out of a recipe I'm brewing tomorrow because I figure that with a protein rest, Munich and wheat already I should be sorted.

That doesn't really answer anyone's question though, does it? :) I would say if you do AG and have good mash control, its only benefit would be a really light caramel if you want to 'flesh out' a light beer.

personally i have tried putting a small amount in british ale where I think wheat would be inappropriate and I wanted to guarantee good head retention....it worked (but maybe I would have been Ok anyway, i didnt run a control batch)

edit, oh yeah, and i didnt want to use a lot of crystal

Latest posts

Back