Caramelized Hefeweizen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alkos

Reaction score
Hi!

I've cooked a little twisted hefe recipe today:

3000 g Wheat Malt
2000 g English 2-row Pils
500 g Rye Flakes
300 g Melanoidin Malt
50 g Hallertau (2,2%) - added during boil, boiled 120min

(for 25L)

OG:1.048
IBU: 13

The issue is that there must have been loads of scorching at the heating element, as wort should be 10EBC (paulaner), but looks like 25 (hmmm... scottish -/80?) and I can taste subtle, but quite sharp caramel.

I have a weihenstephaner 3068 starter waiting to be pitched... Is it worth it? Or should I better add some hop tea to boost IBU into low twenties and make it scottish'ish-weizen with a pack of Windsor? Nottingham perhaps?

I remember a caramelly hefeweizen I had once - the Hoepfner Keller Weizen - and I remember I've liked it. Still, don't know what to do. Google fails this time ;-)

Could be like an extreme decoction - decoction not being uncommon in weizen making (although you also have the melanoiden in there). I'd go with it. Could steep some choc and choc wheat and attempt a dunkelweizen of sorts.

Sounds nice. I use so much melanoidin in my hefes so I don't have to muck with the mash.

Could be like an extreme decoction - decoction not being uncommon in weizen making (although you also have the melanoiden in there). I'd go with it. Could steep some choc and choc wheat and attempt a dunkelweizen of sorts.
kettle caramelisation is an important factor in production of flavours in a number of wheat beers, due to 90-120 minute boil times

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go with 3068 this afternoon, when it no-chills. I'm still worried it looks so dark the decoction might have been too extreme ;-)

As a last resort, I will add some choc tea to the secondary (if the caramel flavour will be overpowering after fermentation) to make it a proper(ish) dunkel :)

Latest posts

Back