Caps spin a little

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza101

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought a bench capper. Tested out a few empty bottles and the cap goes on ok, it crimps alright but when I twist it it does give a little and then I can spin it?

Will they be ok or do I need to drop the capper another notch. When I do cap the bottles they crimp and then get "stuck" in the capper bell and I have to wiggle them free.

Hoping this is a non issue and they will be fine.

Regards

Dazza

If the capper is getting stuck on the bottle I would think they are getting a seal, but they shouldn't spin. How much effort does it take to move them initially.
Anytime I have come across a loose lid they have not had carb.

If you can "spin the cap" then it is too loose and you need to go down a notch. Jamming, getting stuck is fairly common but a bit of keg lube in the capping bell really helps.
I have found that after capping you can sometimes turn the cap (with effort) but as pressure builds with carbonation it forces the cap up to seal against the bottle flange.

Takes a bit of effort and is quite tight to start. I think if I seal them and just leave they should be ok.

As always, really appreciate the advice guys.

a bit of food grade grease on the inside of the bell will help it all settle in as well

Latest posts

Back