Cap/lid To Suit 20l Plastic Container

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
I am sure such a thing has already been invented. I am looking for a Cap or Lid to suit the 20L bottle pictured. The lid pictured is a clip on type, and is designed for one time use, and even when new cap is attached have been known to leak a little if the container is placed on its side.

I am thinking that a multi-use cap or lid must already exist. Possibly something comprising of a clamp & rubber seal. There is no threading to suit a screw on type cap.

Any assistance appreciated. I have seen rubber bungs designed for glass carboys, but do not think this will work effectively, and not sure whether the container would start to split along the seems if a bung was pushed into it.

Plastic_Bottle.JPG

Bottle_Neck.JPG

Cap.JPG

Depending on the purpose for closing the vessel some glad wrap and a rubber band would create a reasonable seal?

EDIT: There do appear to be options for sale also.... Water cap thingy

what are you intending on using the bottle for? The lid you have may be more than adequate?

what are you intending on using the bottle for? The lid you have may be more than adequate?

No specific use at this point. I would not be confident travelling with this on its side if it was full of water though. I had to travel with some of these recent, and for this reason had to stand upright. 20L of water leaked in a car would not be fun.

It has been suggested these could be used for no chill - though I have to admit, I am not planning to do many no chill brews.

why not just one of these?

Capture.JPG

Simple, cheap and should last a lifetime.

Dunno about using them for NC though :unsure:

Hi Guys,

I use these for my secondary fermentation. Just use a rubber bung and an airlock...all done.

They are food grade(well I hope so, they are designed to hold drinking water) and it has a wide enough mouth to add oak cubes, fruit, spices and hops. They work well for me. :)

Cheers

Depending on the purpose for closing the vessel some glad wrap and a rubber band would create a reasonable seal?

EDIT: There do appear to be options for sale also.... Water cap thingy

I did make further enquiries on this with the manufacturer, and they advised it would not be suitable for holding water while the vessel was on its side.

I am thinking some sort of a seal that also covers the neck of the 20L bottle, then allowing some sort of a ring clamp to be attached to prevent leakage. I am wondering if the carboy handle pictured below could assist (eg. blue plastic cap + some sort of sheath that then covers the cap, carboy handle or other device that then clamps around the sheath hopefully providing a seal that will guarantee no leakage from the full bottle??

Any other suggestions for a suitable re-useable cap that would allow me to store these on their side while full of liquid?

mWyrCGoluAOCiTthUS5OcXQ.jpg

For those sending me pms about joining I need an email address to send the invite to.

For the effort and expense involved, would it not be simpler just to use 20L jerries?
The simplest option is often the best.

For the effort and expense involved, would it not be simpler just to use 20L jerries?
The simplest option is often the best.

Maybe so, but I have a few of these plastic 20L bottles already, so would like to be able to put these to use.

It has been suggested these could be used for no chill - though I have to admit, I am not planning to do many no chill brews.

IIRC, the plastic used in these bottles is not rated for the high and extended temps required for NC.

IIRC, the plastic used in these bottles is not rated for the high and extended temps required for NC.
Yeah, I think these are PET, which is a great oxygen barrier.

For NC, you ideally want PP or HDPE.

Back