Can't seal a keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He could mean instead of high-jacking a thread about how to seal a keg to tout what you have in store, you could start your own thread of store specials you have in your own thread.

He could mean instead of high-jacking a thread about how to seal a keg to tout what you have in store, you could start your own thread of store specials you have in your own thread.

Thanks for the advice "malt and barley blues". I have taken your advice and made a new thread:

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/kegland-questions-and-answers.98306/

This new thread is a place that anyone can ask us about anything related to keg dispensing and we will do our best to answer your questions in this thread.

I think Peter was talking about best beers comments not yours kegland. I also think this thread has taken a massive side step the OP has solved his problem no we are just arguing about the best way to test a pressure vessel. Shake your dicks fellas this pissing contest is over.

I do not doubt the efficacy of silicone seals but they are not easy to locate & they cost more. Whether oxygen transmission matters I honestly can't say but I doubt it.
New kegs: Absolutely agree, use as a first choice, but again they have not always been readily available & the difference in cost has been marked. That may now be changed & also may depend on where you live.
I posted specifically to allay any fears a newcomer to kegging (Cornelius ball lock style) might have about "bursting" or careless over over-pressuring.
Note that home compressors are not suitable for testing due to the inevitable pass over of mineral oil together with the risk of accidental delivery of much higher that required air pressure.
Testing with C02 works satisfactorily but it is wasteful of gas that is not low cost.
The modified garden sprayer is simple cheap & carries zero risk.
Finally I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had to discard a keg due to corrosion, my LHS owner tells me that over many years like me he has never come across this.

The information posted earlier in this thread on keg testing is specifically for commercial kegs. The big difference between commercial kegs and the ones most home brewers use is a Pressure Relief Valve, if that is fitted and working you cant blow up the keg!

Have had to write-off more than one keg over they years (ex-retailer) mostly in the days when "Pink" was in wide use, Pink and Bleach can both damage SS, the most common was a pin hole where the diptube met the bottom of the keg, a bit of chlorinated cleaner residue in the diptube would run down and sit right there until it ate a hole in the keg.

Most people are using non-chlorinated cleaners these days so less likely to be a problem - but don't use bleach on stainless.
Mark

Some good points Mark, but in regards your earlier comment - the bail is the bent metal piece that is used to hold the lid in place. It is a common term for such an item - in fact it is the correct term for the thing that holds a Grolsch lid down.

Latest posts

Back