Candian Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokodan

Reaction score
Hey All

Put down a coopers canadian blonde following recipe on Coopers site

Canadian Blonde Tin
1 KG BE1
325 G Honey

Primary for 2 weeks , been in bottle for 16 days , tastes good with a light smell and light taste of honey , problem is pours and is very flat in the glass , hardly any head and seems quite watery , will it improve with age , do i need cc ?? . I'v tried different glasses with no difference . Just to add i put down a Coopers IPA also following their site instructions a week later but bottled at the same time , just been "tasting" this using same type of cleaned glassware etc and the IPA is sensational :beerbang: . Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

Dan

coopers canadian blond is about the most thin flavourless kit on the market........ i stopped using kits before the chavesa kit was released but i have read its the same.

I made the blond once when i was starting out and it wouldni hold much of a head.

kind of like carbonated yellow water.

is it carbonated? or just wont hold a head

cheers

16 days is a little premature,how did you carbonate
Franko

Hey All

Canadian Blonde Tin
1 KG BE1
325 G Honey

Primary for 2 weeks , been in bottle for 16 days , tastes good with a light smell and light taste of honey , problem is pours and is very flat in the glass , hardly any head and seems quite watery , will it improve with age , do i need cc ?? . I'v tried different glasses with no difference . Just to add i put down a Coopers IPA also following their site instructions a week later but bottled at the same time , just been "tasting" this using same type of cleaned glassware etc and the IPA is sensational :beerbang: . Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

Dan
hi
when i brew lagers i try to use carapils (say 100-200g) in it...i believe in the magic bullet...maybe it'll help next time..also how'd you carbonate it...i bulk prime and use this scale below...works for me ...
Final Gravity Grams
1006-1008 180
1008-1010 160
1010-1014 140
1014-1018 120
1019-1025 100

link below for grumpys bulk priming where table is from
http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=13
hope this helps
cheers simpletotoro

I've done a couple of Canadian Blonde kits but I've modified them a bit.

Did one with a tin of liquid wheat malt, a 200g crystal malt steep, 24g Saaz aroma addition, and US-56 ale yeast. The head on this is ******* unbelievable, it's like a creamy dense foam. It takes about 10 minutes to pour a Stein of this one.

Bottled another one yesterday which was brewed with Saaz flavour additions, 12g Hallertau aroma, 50g chocolate and 200g crystal malts steep, plus 500g of liquid rice malt, and 1kg of BE2. Can't comment on the head on this yet but the colour is light brown and the taste is as strong (and pleasant) as a Pilsener Urquell. I'm thinking about calling this one a "Canadian Bitter Brunette."

I've read reviews elsewhere about this kit having shitty head and flavour characteristics but I reckon it's a good base for nearly any beer you could imagine. Just gotta chuck in some extra stuff to personalise it a bit and make sure you prime it up well at bottling.

Canadian Blonde Tin
1 KG BE1
325 G Honey

You probably won't see any improvement in your beer's head for this batch (just drink 'em out of the bottle) but maybe next time try 1kg of dried malt extract, or BE2 instead. It might help your head a bit. You could also add about 200g of wheat malt extract. It's renouned for it's ability to aid head retention.

At risk of repeating myself (actually I am repeating myself), have done the Canadian blonde fairly regularly, not real keen myself as I'm more of an ale man, but Coopers Canadian Blonde, 1kg coopers b/e 2, 20g fuggles pellets boiled 15 mins, 20g boiled 5 mins, all thrown in the fermenter to 23l, kit yeast, produces a very drinkable quaffer / pseudo lager.
In the keg, quite drinkable after 3-4 days but improves over a couple of months.
Worth a try.
Mark

coopers canadian blond is about the most thin flavourless kit on the market........ i stopped using kits before the chavesa kit was released but i have read its the same.

I made the blond once when i was starting out and it wouldni hold much of a head.

kind of like carbonated yellow water.

is it carbonated? or just wont hold a head

cheers
Hey Tony

Yeah carbonated with 2 drops and bottles seems carbonated , but just like you say yellow carbonated water and no head

Cheers

Dan

hi
when i brew lagers i try to use carapils (say 100-200g) in it...i believe in the magic bullet...maybe it'll help next time..also how'd you carbonate it...i bulk prime and use this scale below...works for me ...
Final Gravity Grams
1006-1008 180
1008-1010 160
1010-1014 140
1014-1018 120
1019-1025 100

link below for grumpys bulk priming where table is from
http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=13
hope this helps
cheers simpletotoro
Hey Simpletoro ,

Thanks , just used carb drops

Cheers

Dan

Hey Simpletoro ,

Thanks , just used carb drops

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've just brewed the same recipe, but with 500g of honey (I'm not sure what difference that would make, but I thought I'd just use the whole jar). Primed with 1 tsp of white sugar per longneck. Will let you know results in 10 days.

Brian

My experience is that a Coopers tin with a kg of BE1 primed with carb drops will not produce a decent head. It's sort of step A in the A-Z of brewing. Gets you started, but that's about it. There's simply not enough malt in the mix to produce the sort of stuff needed to make the head stand.

When I went to bulk priming and using half a kg of dry malt in the brew I got a much better head retention. Now I make all malt brews and the head is great.

Hi Dan,

I've just brewed the same recipe, but with 500g of honey (I'm not sure what difference that would make, but I thought I'd just use the whole jar). Primed with 1 tsp of white sugar per longneck. Will let you know results in 10 days.

Brian

Cool

Look forward to the results

Thanks Brian

Cool

Look forward to the results

Thanks Brian

Hey Dan,

Had a sneak preview last night at room temp (after 10 days secondary carb) . Coarse bubbles - head didn't last long. Very Hunny - Winnie would approve. Maybe Coopers were right when they called for 325g (instead of 500g). Anyway, might be better in a month or so (and served cold!). Will update again in a few weeks.

Brian

Hey All

Canadian Blonde Tin
1 KG BE1
325 G Honey

Cheers

Dan
My first few brews were lacking head and a bit under carbed, I now use some wheat malt in all my brews and have not had a problem since.

Cheers.

U probably noticing a trend with canadian Blonde that brewers are adding other malts I've just last week did the same and my recipe is as follows:

1 can coppers Canadian blond or black rock pilsner blond
1 can of coppers wheat malt
300grams coppers head enhancer
12g Cas hops or hops that suit your taste

I have no trouble with head, :beerbang: you must prime the bootles with just over a 1 teas poon of raw sugar 650ml depending on your size of bottle? or (carb drops/) but I am always looking for a creamer head with small bottles so dont forget to leave it in the fringe for a long time as the bubbles become smaller

cheers

Latest posts

Back