Canberra Malt Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1153

Reaction score
Based on Ross' post here , would any of you fellow Canberra people be interested in a bulk buy.

20 bags wouldn't be too hard to reach. I want a minimum of 3 for myself.

Any takers?

Or, if there is another source of cheap bulk buying in Canberra that I don't know about....

Ross: If you read this, do you have a rough estimation on the transport cost to Canberra for this size load?

Cheers
Troy

Or, if there is another source of cheap bulk buying in Canberra that I don't know about....

Join the Canberra Brewers Club...you'll get the chance to be in on the bi-monthly bulk grain buy. Very, very cheap :beer:
Cheers
Steve

I should add that I am happy to coordinate payment and delivery if this gets off the ground.

Cheers
Troy

Join the Canberra Brewers Club...you'll get the chance to be in on the bi-monthly bulk grain buy. Very, very cheap :beer:
Cheers
Steve

Aaaah a friend had mentioned the bulk buy the Canberra Brewers Club do. I figured it was a random once a year type thing. If it is "bi-monthly" then I'll go that way for sure :).

(Edit: Hang on.... bi-monthly as in every two months OR bi-monthly as in twice a month?) If every two months then I could be waiting a fair while then.

Hmmm looking at my calendar, next week is the meeting, right? I think I will definitely be there. Hopefully there is a bulk buy arranged really really soon, I'm gagging for some bags.

Troy

Aaaah a friend had mentioned the bulk buy the Canberra Brewers Club do. I figured it was a random once a year type thing. If it is "bi-monthly" then I'll go that way for sure :).

(Edit: Hang on.... bi-monthly as in every two months OR bi-monthly as in twice a month?) If every two months then I could be waiting a fair while then.

Hmmm looking at my calendar, next week is the meeting, right? I think I will definitely be there. Hopefully there is a bulk buy arranged really really soon, I'm gagging for some bags.

Troy

Sorry, yes its every two months.....havent been to a meeting for a while myself due to family commitments (or bought grain :( ). Im almost out of grain too. They are the first Thursday of the month. Have a look on www.canberrabrewers.org
Cheers
Steve

Ross: If you read this, do you have a rough estimation on the transport cost to Canberra for this size load?

Cheers
Troy

Troy, Freight cost is $142 all up - So between $4 & $7 a sack.

Cheers Ross

Sometimes it's every month....
Meetings first Thursday of every month at the Harmopnie German Club

Thanks for the freight info Ross.

Maxt, I will definitely be at the next one, next week :)
Hey, I even bottled some of my last brew that I can bring along.

Just wondering when the next bulk purchase through the Canberra Brewers will be?

Just wondering when the next bulk purchase through the Canberra Brewers will be?

not sure.....there was a delivery a couple of weeks ago. Go to www.canberrabrewers.org and ask? You have to be a member to be in the buy thoughh.
Cheers
Steve

not sure.....there was a delivery a couple of weeks ago. Go to www.canberrabrewers.org and ask? You have to be a member to be in the buy thoughh.
Cheers
Steve

I figured you would have to be a member. I want to put a brew on before November, so i was tossing up paying $30 to join Canberra Brewers, or paying $25 for shipping a lone bag of malt. I'm such a tight wad, must be the accountant in me... :eek:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, i'll shoot the brewers an email.

I figured you would have to be a member. I want to put a brew on before November, so i was tossing up paying $30 to join Canberra Brewers, or paying $25 for shipping a lone bag of malt. I'm such a tight wad, must be the accountant in me... :eek:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, i'll shoot the brewers an email.

How big a brew are you planning? Is it just a normal 23 litre size? Have you tried Col at Brew Your Own at Home in Kambah? You should join anyway :D
Cheers
Steve

I figured you would have to be a member. I want to put a brew on before November, so i was tossing up paying $30 to join Canberra Brewers

I think from what I read that now we are in October the membership cost for the Brew Club is discounted (as it is based on a full calendar year). $15 rings a bell?

Other than that the Sept/Oct order has been delivered and there has been no word on any subsequent orders yet so you may need to buy a random bag :)

I'm with Steve though, you should join :) I've only just joined in the past couple of months and it has been really great.

How big a brew are you planning? Is it just a normal 23 litre size? Have you tried Col at Brew Your Own at Home in Kambah? You should join anyway :D
Cheers
Steve

I'm just going to be doing 19-23L batches, basing them all around a pale ale malt. I talked to Col, and was suprised to find out he was fairly reasonable with grain prices, but he doesn't have what i'm after. Was thinking about getting a sack of Barrett Burson pale ale malt sent down from craftbrewer, unless you can suggest somewhere closer (i.e. cheaper) to tide me over until the next bulk purchase...?

I'm just going to be doing 19-23L batches, basing them all around a pale ale malt. I talked to Col, and was suprised to find out he was fairly reasonable with grain prices, but he doesn't have what i'm after. Was thinking about getting a sack of Barrett Burson pale ale malt sent down from craftbrewer, unless you can suggest somewhere closer (i.e. cheaper) to tide me over until the next bulk purchase...?

probably cheaper to buy as you need it from Col and wait for the next bulk buy. Getting one bag would be quite costly? You could ask on the canberra brewers site if anyone has a spare bag or half a bag for sale? Unfortunately I dont.
Cheers
Steve

...as stated you have to be a financial member to be in the grain co-op.....

....Joining to get cheap grain should be the last of your priorities , the brewing knowledge in the club is astounding....we have the reigning AABC National Champ ( Craig Webber /Stagger) , Dan Raynor who got BOS at last years Nationals , Ross Mitchell , the highest ranked BJCP Judge in the Country, both the former and current brewers of the Wig and Pen (Richard Pass & Richard Watkins respectively) are also members....And lets not forget the mad , bad and totally cool Dr Ulysses N Kurtz ......

...do you want to make better beer or just cheap beer...??

...Cougar...

....Joining to get cheap grain should be the last of your priorities

...do you want to make better beer or just cheap beer...??
...Cougar...

Of course i want to make better beer, who doesn't! I was talking about the club in the context of bulk buying.

I made it to one meeting mid last year and met a lot of the people you mentioned (you didn't mention Christoph), but i haven't been brewing much since then. I would agree, there is a stupendous amount of knowledge in the club. Have to check it out again at the next meeting.

-sanders

....Christoph's pretty busy with Zeirholz Brewery at the moment, so we don't see much of him at the club these days, which is a shame but perfectly understandable....but i must say i have learnt a lot from him and wouldn't have gotten the chance to do so without joining the Canberra Brewers...

I wouldn't join the club, it's full of all sorts of unsavoury characters. Many of them don't wash and some have beards....On a more serious note, it would have to be the TALLEST brew club in the world.

....On a more serious note, it would have to be the TALLEST brew club in the world.

as in physically tall? Thats alright, I should drag the average up standing at the dizzying height of 6'3 :D

Latest posts

Back