Can You Recarbonate Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNewy

Reaction score
I just opened a couple of my Squires Pilsener and they have no bubbles at all and are quite ordinary.
Can I open them, and if not carbonated, can I chuck a couple of drops in and reclose them??
Will it introduce nasties??
Cheers

Assuming there is yeast in suspension in the bottle then yes. Be aware of adding too much sugar / drops, you dont want bottle bombs!

(If its a normal brew kit then there will be yeast in suspension, unless you highly filtered it)

Forgot to add that this will increase the alcohol % slightly too!

Add your additional priming sugar in a sanitary way and you should be ok.

If in doubt store in the laundry near the drain for a month just in case they get too excited.

2c.

Forgot to add that this will increase the alcohol % slightly too!

Add your additional priming sugar in a sanitary way and you should be ok.

If in doubt store in the laundry near the drain for a month just in case they get too excited.

2c.

Thank for the help Raven. Much appreciated

Any ideas as to why sometimes they don't carbonate?
The caps or on properly and I have a system were I can't actually forget the drops

I've done this before, in my case the bottles didn't carb up because my bottling assistant didn't cap the bottles correctly - the bottles were twist tops. I should have checked them myself after however! Anyway after a few weeks when I discovered a few flat ones I chucked in about half a scoop of extra dextrose into each affected bottle and they were fine, no explosions.

Other reasons why they would not carbonate:
- too cold
- no priming sugar
- not sealed properly
- not enough priming sugar

Back