Can someone recommend timber for keezer build?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 150 x 50 blackbutt with 4 coats of marine grade varnish

fixed to the freezer with silicon adhesive and also ran a bead around the join to seal it

Edak said:
And knots give great feature character.
The heartwood has much more character than any knot, unless of course you are talking Birdseye maple. New Guinea rosewood would look nice with a Danish oil polish.

Look at woodworking.org for pictures of many different types of hardwood.

I know I am dragging up an old thread, but does any one know where I could buy some hard wood in 180mm+ and 220mm+ widths that don't cost as much as the freezer itself !!
I am located in north west Melbourne.

Bunnings redwood fence palings looked awesome sanded with just a bit of varnish.

But then they shrank, and warped, and generally stuffed up hours and hours of work.

It did look good for a few days though.

treasu11.jpgtreasu12.jpg

Bottom of freezer is now painted with chalkboard paint ... this made such a difference - you can't see the dents and rust ;)

That looks great, it's exactly how I want to do mine... But I'm discouraged by yours warping. Anyone with experience able to give tips to avoid that?

Timber laminate floor panels, the stuff that just clicks together

Easy to make that stuff look pretty awesome. My last job was at a shopfitting company & we used it all the time

Go with pine and stain it as a first try.
Pine is cheap and if you a mistake it's not expensive to replace,plenty of choices for different colours in .
Cheers......spog...

image.jpg

All pine. Cabots cedar satin stain and varnish.

If I was more confident with my skills on the tools i would use something better, but only for the top. It would be pricey to clad the whole thing in expensive timber.

Silky oak. Beautiful! You can grab old silky oak furniture for a couple coins at an op shop and repurpose it.

Latest posts

Back