Can someone recommend timber for keezer build?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
I have all the bits and pieces to start building a Keezer from a chest freezer.

The keezer will be spray painted mat black and I intend on staining a nice bit of timber for the collar with 4 taps.

Can anyone recommend a specific kind of timber that would look good stained?

Any decent hardwood.....Ironbark is my fav

If you got $$$$ then walnut......or some Toona Ciliata

Ducatiboy stu said:
Any decent hardwood.....Ironbark is my fav

If you got $$$$ then walnut......or some Toona Ciliata
Any idea on what sort of price difference between these timbers?

How much will I be looking at for timber to do an average size 200L freezer?

Oak has a really nice grain (well the piece I'm looking at does) & looks bloody awesome stained

I'm making a top for my portable keg system & just salvaged a scrap piece of American Oak that will be stained black next week. I'll post some pics to show the result

breakbeer said:
Oak has a really nice grain (well the piece I'm looking at does) & looks bloody awesome stained

I'm making a top for my portable keg system & just salvaged a scrap piece of American Oak that will be stained black next week. I'll post some pics to show the result
Awesome. Look forward to seeing pics. I want something with a nice grain in it.

I've just used some hardwood and it come out tops. It was cheap and I'm pretty happy with it.... here's some pics to give you an idea.

8290457234_e3a52a13c9_o.jpg

8289397547_dd737e902e.jpg

8355125837_0683f76d13_z.jpg

Looks like Meranti AF. Nice cheap timber but be aware it's a slash and burn rainforest timber and carries some ecological weight if you choose to purchase

Oregon/Douglas Fir would be a great choice, you could even scrounge a bit from a demo yard or some random wood pile. The grain pattern is one of the best.

punkin said:
Looks like Meranti AF. Nice cheap timber but be aware it's a slash and burn rainforest timber and carries some ecological weight if you choose to purchase
Sorry Punkin.......That aint Meranti....

A lot if hardwood species are light in colour like that collar.... Gum, Grey Ironbark,Tallowood,Turpentien,Box.....etc

Yeah looks a bit like Vic Ash or Tas Oak, both eucalypts.

The blue and white looks too much like a North Melb guernsey, kinda spoils it. ;)

Black Devil Dog said:
Yeah looks a bit like Vic Ash or Tas Oak, both eucalypts.

The blue and white looks too much like a North Melb guernsey, kinda spoils it. ;)
that's exactly what my first thoughts were,from when i worked as a wood machinist many years ago.

Did mine in pine a while ago. All pine. More pine than you can think. It was also sturdier than the freezer itself.

Looked decent imo. Not it lives with another brewer who has hopefully stained it cuz I was too lazy to.

I would be using Tassie oak or Vic ash (the same thing except tas oak is grown in tas and Vic ash is grown in Vic).

Bunnings sell it as as lintel above doors and Windows for house framing.

I was looking at them the other day, they are all dressed and ready to go, you will have to pick out a good one though cos most of them have imperfections being a structural timber.

I used pine, because I couldnt find hardwood planks at bunnings that were wide enough. So long as you seal it to prevent moisture getting in it's fine.

Latest posts

Back